Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Immortals


Sometimes (though rarely)I find myself out in a social situation late at night. I look around and see all the immortals and I am amazed that I was once among them.

The immortals are those, usually under the age of 35 who can stay up drinking, smoking, bar hopping, party hopping, finding romance, sleeping for only an hour or two and still getting up to spend a day at work.

Mortality is a concept that one just doesn’t seem to get until later in life. When you are immortal nothing holds you down for long. You can recover from just about everything with a little sleep. When you become mortal a couple of drinks can cloud you head for a week. Physics kicks in where you can see that every action comes with an equal and opposite reaction, plus you start getting reactions for things you did years earlier.

My advice to the immortals, ride that wave as best you can. Remember the good times, and even write them down, because when you become a mortal, your memories will have to hold you over.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

You are right on the money with this! I became a mortal at 40.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Any day now my wave is going to come crashing in to shore. But until then...

6:46 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jeff, it makes one wonder what the next advancement will be.

Zoe, I envy your youth and beauty.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do so love your take on things Guy....I too became mortal at 40 and it sounds sooooooooo much nicer to say that than just plain old....I'm getting old!!! And for you immortals?? Heed his advice well!!

8:10 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ahh, Boo you'll always be young in my mind.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Well it won't last forever.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home