Sunday, December 17, 2006

God and Santa


God and Santa seem to have a lot in common.

With God, if you are good you get to go to heaven. With Santa you get presents. If you are bad with God you are sent to hell, with Santa you get coal in your stocking. With God, if you aren’t baptized you go to Limbo, with Santa, if you don’t believe you get passed over like the Jews. With God there is the Book of Life. With Santa it’s a list of who is naughty or nice. Both God and Santa are pictured as fat old men with beards. God has saints and angels, Santa has helpers. They both live in places where they can’t be found. God floats on clouds, Santa floats in the air on a sleigh. You must confess your sins to God, and you have to tell Santa if you have been good all year.

So maybe God and Santa are one and the same. They are never seen at the same place at the same time (they are never seen). God has a son, but no wife and Santa has a wife but no children. I’m suspicious. I will close with a quote from G.K Chesterton, “The eye with which God I see is the same eye with which God sees me.”

(Yes, I am still an Atheist, but I figured I’d throw a bone to the believers out there.)

8 Comments:

Blogger LeLo said...

So what does that make the easter bunny? The Holy Spirit?

Just askin'.

I'm glad your power is back on: we, fortunately, never lost power, and the broken fence just means new opportunity in the garden next spring. :)

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean I won't get a pony?

Idolitry? I had not considered Santa as an Idol before. This is a good angle. Good one.

Take the 'N' out of Santa and put it on the end of the word, after the 'A' and what do you have?

hmmm?

7:45 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lelo, you'll have to wait a couple months to hear my my take on the Easter Bunny. Lots of holidays between now and then to tend to.
BTW Good thing you've got a critter digging holes in your garden, makes setting posts a snap.

Electrosan? Why the name change? You don't want a pony, trust me. Also reverse the letters of God.

Sorry I botched the photo, I should have had you do it...

8:35 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Since I already have my ticket to hell, I suppose it's okay that I laughed at this.

12:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ticket Syd? Shit, you chartered the entire plane ; ) And if you don't mind, darlin, I'll be happy to be your co-pilot.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL and I can be the flight attendant....coffee, tea or me???

Interesting similarities drawn between Santa and God....things that make you go hhhmmmmmmmm!!

LOVE the graphic....too funny!!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I had too look at the image again. You painted a santa suit on an angel. Freeking excellent! I thought you had found another cool photo until you said something. Anyway what you did there was not easy. Good one. I like the post too. Just plain brilliant.

But maybe it is just the high carbon binoxide levels in my brain from heating my place with a coleman stove for two days. Makes everything brilliant.

Electrosan because the electricity is back on. helloooo?

a plane ride with Syd? With Syd at the controls. Sounds risky.

9:31 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Boo, you're hired!

Port, that's Adam, and he was no angel. The photo was just some spray in the Paint program. And as for Syd, In trust her with my life and or death. She just recently did something very nice for me and my wife. I love her to pieces.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home