Friday, January 05, 2007

Aebleskiver



Have you ever had aebleskivers? I was delighted to find they weren’t so rare when I moved out here.

For those who are unfamiliar with them, they are Norse pancake balls, traditionally with pieces of apple in the center. I first learned of their goodness when I was a lad of 17. I would drive a couple of my girlfriends home from school. One was of Danish and the other was of Swedish heritage. Their mothers just loved me and often they would make us aebleskivers for an after school snack.

The tool used to make them is called a monka pan which looks like a skillet that is mixed with a muffin pan, but with rounded bottoms. You fill each rounded cup with batter, insert a piece of fruit or jam in the center. Once one side is cooked you slide a fork around the edge and flip the ball over and it cooks the batter that was on the top and forms it into the ball shape. They are plated when they are finished and sprinkled with powdered sugar with a little jam on the side for dipping. It’s a wonderful warm snack.

After high school and college I settled down and wanted to make my own aebleskivers, but finding a monka pan in New Jersey before the Internet was not an easy task. I did find one through a relative who worked in the culinary tools industry. It took me years, but I finally got one.

The funny thing was that I was in Canada a few years after that, and I went into a hardware store in Buckingham, Quebec. There on the floor was a stack of probably 50 cast iron monka pans on the floor that they were selling for $1.00 each. I picked up a couple.

It is even funnier that it is now a major project for me to make aebleskivers. A few years ago we got all new appliances and our stove is a ceramic top. You can only cook thing with flat surfaces on it, which means no woks and no monka pans. So when I ever want to have aebleskivers I need to haul out my camping cook stove. But you know, it’s really worth it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jaggy said...

I'm working on starting an ethnic recipes section on my blog for all the yummy foods my family has passed down and continues to eat (we're German-Russian). Your Aebleskivers sound yummy, like turnovers but way better.

7:07 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, it is yummy, and warm. There are recipes on the net, but I use Snowqualmie Falls pancake batter and add a touch of cardomin,(sp)an often used spice in Nordic food. The only problem is that you do need a monka pan to make them.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of our wedding gifts was an aebleskiver pan. Our kids grew up on those things.
I highly reccomend The Sandinavian Festival that is held in Junction City each summer.
Among other things, there are excellent aebleskivers served there.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I'd never heard of those until now... but it's making my belly rumble all the same.
Maaannn... now I have to go buy a doughnut. Thanks, Guy. ;)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Mmmmm. Never heard of those, but they look delicious.

9:48 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

They are wonderful, and the fresher the better. I've been to a few festivals where they were sitting around for 20 minutes under a heat lamp, and they weren't quite as good. I guess that any rule that applies to eating pan cakes would go equally well for aebleskiver.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's getting close to midnight munchies time around here....a few of those aebleskiver would be very tasty!!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Want. Now.

Do you deliver????

I think I can work out a trade for some Calabraise lasagne...

8:46 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Make it canolies and I'll come to your house with my monka pans and batter.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home