Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sleeping Jeopardy


I always look forward to going to bed because that is when I get to think of exhausting topics that put me to sleep. I’m generally a good sleeper and I usually fall asleep within ten minutes of going to bed. The problem is that since I fall asleep so easily I rarely get to finish my thoughts to a conclusion.

The traditional folk remedy is to count sheep and a topic for me is to try to figure out the solution to this problem:

Let’s say you were a contestant on the game show Jeopardy, and you were so good that you alone answered all the questions. All of the Daily Doubles were the last questions covering the lower dollar amount so you were able to double your money at the end of the first round, and twice at the end of the second round and then again in final Jeopardy.

The maximum you can make on the first round is 35,600. The second round maximum is 140,800. Add them together and double them for the final round and you could win $352,800.

What do you think about to get yourself to sleep?

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

OMG - this is what puts you to sleep? That kind of thinking would cause insomnia for me. I try to empty my mind - turn it off. (And not always successfully.)

6:27 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I think in this situation, I'd think of how to spend the money after you had done all the adding.

In reality, having only two speeds, on and off, I just shut down completely, waking 6 hours later after a series of bizarre dreams.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Important to recognize what NOT to think about:
- Who's next on my hit-list.
- Politics.
- Deadlines.
- All that needs done.
- Why I'm not sleeping yet.
- Anything stressfull.
- Etc....

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superstring theory, and trying to imagine what would occur in an unbalanced string- one missing a fermion, for example.

But, I am odd.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Elleda Wilson said...

Thinking about summers when I was a child makes me fall asleep smiling.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Wow Guy, I can't get over the previous poster above. New blog in town?

To get to sleep, since I was a child I have always used this method when I cannot sleep. I lay very still and try to remember my dream from the previous night. And that is the only time I can remember the dream from the night before - when I am back in bed again. That, or a good book or a bad book usually does the trick.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think.. that is how I get to sleep. I turn on AM talk radio and it never fails; I am asleep within minutes.

Love,

Anon

11:50 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, the more complex the quicker I go down.

Lori, That's because you think all day and you need to get away from it.

Gearhead, that list is the things you do all day, so you better not take it to bed with you.

Tom, at that point you enter the quantum area. ZZZzzzzz...

Astorianna! Welcome and thanks for the link on your site. I can't repay the favor because I don't do links, which I will do an article as to why one of these days.

Auntie, I've got an article coming up soon about women's dreams.

Love, I used to turn on a radio as well, but that was when I was single and could do what ever I wanted. Now I have to do math problems.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I think, "This Benadryl should be kickin' in any moment..."

Either that, or listening to the radio does the trick for me.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Whatever I try generally wakes me up even more so I just give up until I can barely maintain consciousness, or what passes for it:)

8:25 PM  
Blogger Amaya said...

Definitely not math.

1:30 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Amaya, Newlywed?

Mike, A walking napper.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home