Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wool


I know, I know, I’ve been posting later and later every morning. It used to be where I had a goal to make sure I posted my blog article by 6AM, but lately I’ve been sleeping until after six. Also Blogger has been acting up lately.

August is the time of year when I get outdoor things done. I work hard and sleep well. In the past two weeks I put in a new 60 foot round pen with a base of clay, topped by geo-cloth and 20 yards of sand. Then I moved on to digging, piping and rocking a thirty foot area that always seems be a wet area.

Yesterday I was at the sheep farm all day to assist with the shearing of forty eight sheep. You may have read about by adventures with this last year with the Aussie shearer. Here is a link to that article Knots This year it went much better. I wasn’t asked to tie any knots and the Shearer was a Kiwi this year. He never once insulted me or any one else.

Sheep are pretty strong animals and when there are several that want to get by you it’s best to stand back. Taking one out of the group can be difficult. You just don’t convince them by being nice. They need to be grabbed by the head and thrown on their back. Only then when they are on their back do they calm down. And yes, sheep with horns are much easier to deal with. The horn is a natural handle. Stranger yet are Jocobs Sheep, they have four to six horns. That’s no lie, look it up.

6 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I read you every morning after I get back from walking my dogs. I've been having withdrawals...and I'm more than jealous you are able to sleep past 6.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Several good friends here run sheep farms. I love watching shearing time when not physically able to help, much easier this way. They tend to run the sheep into a single sheep loading ramp and just grabbing the next one to come out. The dogs get the fuzzy things into the ramp:)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'm not going to look it up (the four to six horns thing). I trust you - you've become my informed source about things I never even contemplated before reading your blog!

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are sleeping in, does this mean you might stay up later than 7:30?
Maybe we will FINALLY get to share a beer at the shindig this year.
Oh; and I promise not to bore you for a second over 4 hours.
:-Q

6:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, I would have posted by 6:15 this morning but Blogger was down...honest.

Thanks, Beth. You're a Darlin!

Mike, funny there were no sheep dogs present. We had them all penned up to start with, so we kept adding back pressure, but the ones in front never want to be next.

Gearhead, now that you won't be so busy this year, sure. Did Mark ask you to teach my class with me this year? I wonder if I will still be comped. If not I may just send him the disk and let him teach it.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I love productive times like this. And with the good weather, it just seems like your options for getting things done are just so much broader. A good feeling...especially in the great outdoors.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home