Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Eeeeek, A Mouse


Continuing with this weeks home invasion theme, what house doesn’t have an occasional mouse? Not mine. I have no idea how they get in.

My hands have been on every square inch of my house. Having built two additions myself, and refitting the rest of the house inside and out I thought I had found and sealed any entrance a mouse could use. Places that aren’t solid have been screened with hardware cloth and caulk. Any hole that has a pipe or wire going through it has fireproof caulk filling any gaps, yet they still get in.

I know they are there when I see the cat fixed in place for hours looking at the wall. OK, I think, they are in the wall, but they can’t get into the house from the wall, and then I find a headless mouse in the laundry room.

I’m giving up and leaving it to the cat. That’s life in the country.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One morning I woke up and found my daughter on the living room couch. She said there was "scratching in the wall". I immediatly thought of a mouse but pushed that thought aside because our house is only 2 years old. Like you Guy, we know every square inch of our house because we helped build it. AND, her room is in the basement which consists of concrete walls. Anyway, I cut a hole in the closet wall and as soon as the sheetrock fell away, the cutest little brown field mouse stuck his head out. There ended up being a mom and four baby mice in the wall. The best scenario we can come up with is that we left the garage door open(which we do) and the momma mouse came in and scooted under the mechanical room door. She then had to climb up the furnace onto the ducts. She then followed the duct into my daughter's room and went down inside the closet wall.

Quite a journey for a little brown field mouse.

Love,
Anon

8:05 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I was chuckling when I heard pack rats got into my ex-husband's garage and ate his hoses and damaged stuff...is that bad?

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also was raised by mice, growing up in the country. Which explains alot, huh?

They were always a feature of our house, many times waking me up in the night scratchin on the bedroom door wanting in. When I was old enough to drive (age 12) I used to find one in the glove box from time to time when I opened it in the morning. Pretty cute actually until they start dragging the cat and dog food up to your underwear drawer and settle in amongst your panties as their nest.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

We haven't had problems with them since moving here, something I used to attribute to our having cats. Then one night during our 1st spring here (we moved in in early winter) I was outside and noticed several very busy owls plucking their furry meals from our yard. We're down to a more normal one owl now and I think it's due to the mouse population being decimated:)

2:53 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Love Anon, I'm surprised mice aren't extinct where you are considering the cat history out there.

Lori, were you mean spirited before the divorce?

Pam, I'm not going there...

Mike, I'd love to visit some day.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home