Thursday, August 09, 2007

Table for One


Humans are highly social creatures. Some just can’t function without others being around them. I’m not one of those social humans. I’ve mentioned before that my limit with any one person is about 4 hours. By the time the second hour rolls around I’m formulating an exit strategy.

I’ve always been this way. I work better alone and I am just a better person when I’m left alone. Even in my youth I was this way. Sure I had friends, but I always took off when I had enough socializing.

The point was driven home one day when I was speaking to an ex girlfriend on the phone one evening. She was one who tired of my tendency to go off by myself for a week or so every now and then. She asked what I’d been up to and I told her that I had just purchased a new computer and a new telescope. Her reply was, “Oh good, more things you can do by yourself.”

I smile and think of her words every time I set my up telescope. She was right and I’m still very much that way. It’s nice having some distance.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

This explains so much about you, Loner-Guy. However, even though I jest, I find being along pretty cool at times.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

On this point you and I are alike. I have to have my space. It took my husband about ten years to figure this out. I think it's pretty hard to be married to a loner, but he's managed it well.

6:13 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, I find that people who don't enjoy alone time usually don't like them selves very much.

Donna, I wonder what happens when two loners get married???

10:54 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I do tend to need time alone, so does SH. For him, he retreats to his upstairs office. For me, a couple hours at the gym is perfection. So we get what we need. With three little ones, that's hard sometimes, and since they never, ever stop talking, your head wants to explode sometimes.

I think the need for Paxil for social disorder is pure bullshit. I think we should start to respect people who don't need constant circle-jerking to be happy.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Elleda Wilson said...

I really enjoy having other people around, but I enjoy them most when they don't bother me.

12:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

The only thing I hate more than being alone is being with people.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home