Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Your Ride


If you have a business that requires you drive to meet clients or even drive clients you have a problem. OK, let’s say I have someone come over to give me an estimate and they show up in a BMW or a Mercedes I am immediately suspicious that I am going to be charged too much, but if they show up driving a piece of crap I question if they are actually professional enough to deserve my business. So what’s a business person to do?

The answer is to buy and drive a restored classic. The cool thing about classics is that it shows you have an eye for detail and a reverence for history and transportation. It shows you can really take care of stuff especially if you lie and tell your clients you’ve been driving it since you were 17. Clients will immediately like you and be fascinated by you, and then the product will become an extension of how cool your car is.

Now, I’m sure that there are people who will say that the type of car isn’t important, but trust me, if you pull up in a shinny classic people will notice and appreciate your ride. You will always hear, “I had an uncle who had one of those.”

If you think a restored car would be too over the top, try one that is not restored, yet serviceable. I have a friend who drives this old Studebaker. The original upholstery should be replaced, the paint is a little dull, but the body is in great shape. Everywhere he goes he gets into conversations about his car. He immediately becomes more likable because he has a cool car. This could work for your business.

A funny story he told me about people wanting to talk to him about his car was when he was going to hear Senator Ron Wyden speak. He arrived later than he wanted and he wanted to park and rush into the auditorium, but as he got out of his car he heard someone say, “Hey a Studebaker, I have one of those.” My friend thought, “Oh shoot, I’m late for the talk and someone wants to chat up my car, again…” He turns around and the person talking to him was Ron Wyden. That was as good as it gets. He got to chat it up with Ron one on one, and neither cared if they were late.

9 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

..."you could lie..."

I know I love that in a salesperson, lying...in fact, if they didn't, I don't know quite what I would do.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy - I think some people who drive classic cars (especially salesmen) are in danger of people liking them only for their car or liking the car better than the owner.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Never had this problem but my son might. He just started a job where he has to meet clients. Should he drive his clunker or should I let him use my in-not-so-bad-a-condition car?
Hmm. That would leave me with his car - no A/C. How nice a mother am I?

7:05 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Or someone like me would think, "they must spend a fortune in gas."

But, i do love classic cars.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story made me laugh again at a recent adventure friends and I just had. A few weeks ago we were headed over to Maupin to go river rafting, we were traveling in a 90 Jeep Cherokee, car-pooling, 4 of us. As we came up into Sandy at a stop light on highway 26 we pulled up to a MINTLY RESTORED beautiful Belair. As the 4 of us gawked, the driver of our car started to rev up the engine in a “Lets race” attitude, the 80 something elderly driver jumped in recognition and turned his head with a jerk towards us, all 4 of us were giving him the thumbs up sign and rolled down the window and told him nice car. LOL his wife in the passenger seat was about in tears she was LAUGHING so HARD!!! I almost think she had a handkerchief and was about to jump out and drop it to start the race. So go for the old cars give them their respect, and have some fun with the drivers who took the time to do the work. GREAT BLOG. Thank you.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I'm very involved in a vehicle restoration business. You can't go wrong with a tan Model A or a silvery gray late 30s Ford convertable. Instant showstoppers:)

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason why I held on to that 1972 Plymouth Fury III. I am going to shut off this 'puter and go drag it out of the blackberries.


-+

5:18 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

See, you've just got to love a classic. Would I like to have my 1972 Powder blue Grand Torino Sport with the white interior and the white vinyl roof? Probably yes...

10:38 PM  
Blogger Elleda Wilson said...

And I would love to still have my 1960 red & white Olds ... think it was an F88. Best car ever.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home