Sunday, July 29, 2007

Small


I miss the magic of LP covers. There was something exciting about buying a new record album and being able to look at the record jacket at the convenient 12 X 12 inch size. The album art was amazing and if they published the words to the songs you could actually read them.

It is so disappointing to get a new CD, and not only can you not read anything, the artwork is usually too small to appreciate and enjoy. It’s even worse when you buy music on-line because you have to print your own documentation, which sometimes is a pain, so I no longer even bother.

Another thing I don’t like about modern digital technology is photography. Yes, you can get really good printers that print color photographs that would take hours to do in a color darkroom, but there again you are generally limited in size. Unless you go out and buy a plotter you are stuck with office paper sized prints. You can’t just switch to a larger developer trays and pop out a 16” X 20” print. For me, it’s hard to take small photography seriously. It just doesn’t have the same presence and gravity.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure you can. I have one of these sitting next to me:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=53540919

Whats more, I can send files away and have prints returned in all kinds of sizes.

I, however, miss the "feel" of film. You can develop film "cold" to overstate the grain, push it, and generally do whatever you wanted.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy, dont think of things as small, just think of them as tres, tres bijoux.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like artists really put a lot of effort in to record album covers, back then.
Some more than others.
Three Dog Night would easily win top honors for their art if I were judge.
I still have all of my vinyl albums.
When I hear a song play on the radio, I can visualize the album that it came from.
CD's??? So you drop one out the door and run over it with your truck; who cares?!
Click on Barnes & Noble and have a new one in a week.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally off topic Guy...but man, you really are mellowing out. Zucchini Bread recipes and not rising to the bait on that other board. Wadya beeeeen smokinnnnnn' Bud...I need some baaaaaaad!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Moosehead, I am glad that I am not the only one to notice this shift in our friend Guy.

We need to do an intervention soon. Did you see that he wrote the other day that he didnt have enough fodder for a sick day for August? WTF?

PS, Where have you been Moosehead? Finally get my "heads" straight and then you up and disappear!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I found myself agreeing with everything you say in this post - and then I found myself wondering if we're just getting too damn old...

5:44 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tom, I too miss the musty darkroom and having hands stained and smelling of fixer. Nice printer, BTW.

Auntie, maybe I should get new glasses.

Gearhead, remember how the old albums would warp if you left them in your car? It is cool that CDs don't do that.

Moose, welcome back! Hey, I can't be pissed off all the time, and I did rise to the bait. I only check that board once a week at best, and I'm thinking of breaking my association with that group all together and handing the reigns over to Gearhead. It depends upon to direction of the leadership...It's just not the same organization I joined all those years ago.

Beth, that isn't something we can change. Either we adapt or we get blogs and bitch about it.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

When I was in 8th grade, I got Styx's "Paradise Theater." No only was the album cover super cool, but the LP itself was etched, so that you could see the outline of the Paradise Theater on the face of the album! I thought this was so super cool!

Sometimes, the album covers would have pages inside. Pictures of the bands and their Rock 'n Roll lifestyles.

The last vinyl I ever bought was Men at Work.

My parents have so many LPs left, it's not even funny. We had to search for a stereo that still had a turntable. But they just can't find anywhere to play those 8 tracks anymore, since Dad sold his Olds Delta 88.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home