Thursday, July 26, 2007

Never in Theaters



I love fiction written in first person. All of my fiction is written this way. Someone who read one of my books and saw some of my work performed on stage once asked who I would want to play my character if a film was ever made from one of my books. It’s a strange question to be asked because it was like an interview with my ego, but I think my answer was even more shocking to the reader. I said Wallace Shawn.
We had a long discussion about this since I don’t resemble Shawn. I don’t know, but it may have been his self portrayal in My Dinner with Andre. He was an actor and a writer who was getting by. His life wasn’t grand or even full of international adventure. Though he listened to the wild stories Andre told with amazement, he still felt fortunate that a cockroach hadn’t fallen into his cup of coffee that he left out over night. With all the wild and fascinating things he could have been involved in he found comfort is being himself and living the life he was living. He was neither hero or villain, he just was himself putting his pants on one leg at a time. I can relate to that.

13 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

He is a terrific actor and has played some pretty meaty roles. I can see it. Though I had you pegged as more of the William Holden type, though he's unavailable.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Elleda Wilson said...

He's one of my favorites. He's got that quirky but charming thing really pegged.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Just pondering the question of who would play the part of "Guy". Give me a while and I will come up with a short list.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

INCONCEIVABLE!

That's all I have to say about William Shawn. :)

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that means what you think it means....

7:59 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tom, what?

To all:Years ago I identified with Tom Conti. He did some excellent work in The Blade On the Feather and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, but he seems to have dropped of the face of the Earth and I've mellowed as well.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

As a (relative) latecomer to your blog, I didn't know you wrote books and plays. Can you give out titles? Or are you supposed to remain anonymous on this blog?

11:33 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I do not think that means what you think it means!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Oh shoot! I just saw what my husband left! Well, we do sort of finish each other's sentences...

12:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, what are you and Tom talking about?

Beth, the theater work was all local productions and the books are out of print now, but I always consider reviving them. If I do I'll send you some.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy - they have their own freakish language together, its really cute and all, but sometimes you can get lost when you are around both of them.

And I would say a cross between a YOUNG Jack Albert and Woody Allen may do your part justice. ;)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Having had no real image of you formed yet(I'm slow that way) I still think he's a great choice. Always think of him as "everyman":)

4:25 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

If you do have more copies made of your books, I'd love to read them.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home