Friday, August 03, 2007

Stogies


Yesterday I wrote about pipe smoking and how pipe tobacco smelled good as opposed to the smoke of the cigarette and cigar. Well my father was a cigar smoker as well. Any character he built with his pipe was completely removed when he lit a stogie.

I know that the word stogie is associated with all cigars, but its true meaning describes only one type of cigar, the short Italian smoke the goes by the name of DeNobli. There are a few other brands as seen in the photo above. One which was his favorite, Polumbo, is not pictured above.

These cigars aren’t those big fat round mouth turds that you would associate Bill Clinton or Winston Churchill. Instead they look more like round beef jerky sticks, like small Slim Jims, but bumpier and more wiggly. I think it’s the same type that Clint Eastwood chewed on in his Western films.

Anyway these stogies really smelled bad. They had a pungent yet more so acrid punch to them. They were really bad if you smelled them in a house or in a car. Somehow they didn’t smell that bad when smoked outside.

My memories of my father smoking his Polumbos come best to mind when I remember fishing on a mosquito ridden Canadian lake. It was always nice to be down wind of him because the mosquitoes would avoid that smoke like it meant instant death to them.

Ironically my father lived the last fifteen years of his life in a wheel chair due to a bout of encephalitis which was more than likely caused by a mosquito bite on that Canadian lake. He couldn't smoke those damn things all the time.

My brother and I once tried to relive our youth by visiting that lake in Canada. It was mid summer yet the mosquitoes were still very abundant like they usually were in the spring. We were fishing behind this island as evening approached. Suddenly we could hear the sound of mosquitoes on the wing and a cloud formed over a swampy area near by. They were coming our way.

I opened my tackle box and my brother watched in amazement when I pulled out a red and white box of Polumbos. We lit them and continued fishing until it got dark. We toasted our father who would have been delighted by the tribute. Not one mosquito bothered us that evening.

10 Comments:

Blogger Trop said...

I partake in a cigar, almost daily. My wife and daughter actually like the scent.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I save the cigar moments for special events that come up. It may be a birth of a grandchild, or a really good golf shot. There are many other moments that are deserving of the partaking of a quality cigar. The key to it is to purchase a fine cigar from a tobacco shop.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Great memory - and a wonderful tribute to your father.

Those must have been wicked summers for mosquitoes "up here" - it's not usually so bad mid-summer.
Of course, if you were near a swampy area that would explain the hordes.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I can identify with the B-52 mosquitos, although they do indicate a good fishing spot usually. Cigarillos work well too.[In answer to your comment on my blog: yes, both eyes. Muscle repair on R/H as well, so 7 procedures on that one, 1 simpler operation on L/H. bitch-whine-moan-etc]:)

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And things have been so quiet since Ted Williams (cause he's dead) no longer fishes in the mighty Miramichi salmon river and since George Bush Sr. was up fishing the Restigouche...

It's not that I don't like rich loud cigar smokin' Americans fishing our waters...just that I seem to feel better when they're not around - present company excluded of course.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who couldn't love a rich, loud, ceegar smokin' Yank politician, huh Moosie ?

2:49 PM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

The Polumbos' I so vividly remember buying them for Grandad as a birthday present. I almost forgot out about them. Don't know who you have this vivid memory of yours, it is a thrill to read your stories.

8:44 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Trop, It's nice having a ritual. I wanted to have a drink every day, but I couldn't get in the habit. I have only morning coffee as a ritual.

Jeff, I have a celebration in mind that I want you to join me with in November, and I'll buy the cigars.

Beth, I'll never forget the cloud of them moving across the lake.

Mike, Cigarellos just didn't have the same stink factor. When you smell a cigarello, you think that's a cigar, but when you smell a Polumbo you think "what the fuck is that?"

Moosehead, sounds like you've been out fished by one of us.

Pam, that could be it, too.

Yeah, Robb,the old man was never one who wanted anything extravagant. A corn cob pipe in the old days, before you were born, and Polumbos after that. In his final years he never smoked them, just chewed on them. I'm glad I can touch on things you remember. I often write on things that were before your time.

It's also nice having you around to back me up because many of the readers think I make this stuff up.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Did the fish stay away, too?

2:25 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, fishing was always good there. Well worth the ten hour drive. Oddly the most difficult fishing area I've even been to is right here. I can fish here for days and never get anything.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home