Monday, August 20, 2007

Moved? But I Haven't Gone Anywhere!?!


You know you’ve lived in a place for a long time when you find an old phone book and you look yourself up and see your name was listed with a different address and you still live in the same location.

When Dried Salmon County shifted from using Rural Route addresses to street names a few years ago many of us were a little put out because we had to change our stationary, inform all who contact us by mail and renumber our mail receptacles.

Making matters worse, within the first month or so it was realized by the powers that be that my new numbers in my address were wrong. The numbers they had given me would have placed my house across the street, so I got to move up one digit to get me on the right side of the road.

It’s worked out pretty well. The letter carrier sends back mail addressed to my former addresses unless it’s getting close to Christmas, then I get everything. I guess I’m a good enough tipper to get this additional bonus for an extra three months a year, but not a good enough tipper to get that return service year round.

Now that things have settled down I figure it can’t be long before they want to change our area code. Oddly that was exactly the letter I got from Qwest last week, the day after I wrote this article. We will soon be blessed with a new area code here on the North Coast. It's not too bad because we won't have to convert. It seems like it will be for new numbers issued, but we will all need to dial eleven digits to make a local call beginning in October. Remember the days when one didn't have to even dial the exchange? Just dial four digits and you got through...

I guess we have all moved, just not physically.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

We're getting old, Guy. You're taking me on all these trips down memory lane. (Nice place to go, though.)
Area codes and other parts of phone numbers have changed so much I'm no longer capable of remembering numbers. And add to that all the cell phone numbers!

8:19 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I'm sure that since we no longer rely on our memory we will evolve or devolve our brains. Information stored at our finger tips. What happens when we lose the ability to remember where we stored things?

6:42 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

We only have one area code for the whole state, and until a year or so ago, we had to still dial '1' to get in-state long distance numbers. When I was a kid, if we wanted to find out where people were, a 'crank' to Mrs D, the operator, would usually have the answer. She knew where most folks were. We had 'party' lines too:)

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home