Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Taxi!


I got my truck back from the shop last Friday. There was a valve cover leak that messed up the cam sensor and there was a leak in the manifold. The truck sounds much better and I’m thankful it wasn’t a bunch of other things that I imagined it would be.

I’m also thankful to Auntie L who chauffeured me a few times when my other car wasn’t available. She is such a dear! Her only reward (punishment) was hanging out with me for 20 minute trips and some Pizza on Thursday. Yes, she is one of the few who has now seen me eat. That’s a whole other blog article on how I don’t like eating in public. Yes, I’m a kook…actually I don’t like seeing other people eating so I internalize it to spare other who are afflicted with the same sensitive nature.

I wondered what it would be like if I suddenly had no vehicles in my life. I know I wouldn’t impose on anyone and I’d probably have to ride my bike everywhere. As nice as it is riding horses, I somehow don’t see myself going over the Old Youngs Bay Bridge with one. I do wonder if I could convince the City and County that horse people need a livery or at least hitching posts in convenient locations.

Imagine if fuel prices become so high that people start going back to using horse power. For now the prices are down. It’s funny, but when the price of gasoline goes below $3 a gallon, you’ll see people driving their Hummers again. When it’s over $3 the only place they can be seen is on a sale lot.

I bet when it’s over $5.00 a gallon, you will see horses in town.

Anyway, thank you for your kindness, Auntie. You are a dear friend. Even if you do drive too fast.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy,

Congrats to Auntie for joining the ISGEP (I've Seen Guy Eat in Public) club. Its a very exclusive group and I am proud to say that I am a member.

Love,
Anon

6:24 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Guy-Someday, I'd love to hear your wife's perspective on what it's like hanging out with Guy.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Going without a vehicle sounds easy in principle, but far less practical when you're forced into going without one:)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy - I would gladly drive you anywhere, cuz that's what friends do.

Besides I am saving up so I can ask you a HUGE favor someday. Dont know what it will be yet, but you will be honor bound to oblige old auntie in whatever it is. And, I dont drive fast. You just arent a very comfortable passenger, probably no matter who drives.

2:46 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Love Anon, that's because you are a good cook.

Lori, I just hope she never takes an interest in starting her own blog.

Mike I once had a car that never broke down, and when it finally did break down I felt kind of relieved.

Auntie, there is nothing that makes one feel more alive than spending 20 minutes taking one last breath after another. Some call it hyperventilation, but I call it feeling alive.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

From K-k-k-k-k Herb:

Pappy, why dont you let people see you eat? Its not like you are George Constanza and have to take your shirt off to go to the bathroom or anything, right? It could be alot worse.

3:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Article to follow, eventually.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Low gas prices have spoiled us all. Every once in a while I hear of someone somewhere that sold their car and bought a bike...I would wager that the incidence of heart disease and obesity would go down if gas prices go up.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I have often wondered how they did it in the old days around here. Then I heard there used to be a trolley up the hill, which street, I don't know. But that would be helpful for we city dwellers who don't have enough property for horses. Around the corner, on Jerome, there is the old blue carriage house, it's a rental now, but boy, could they make bank if horses become cheaper than cars.

We are looking at a little electric car called the Zip. Even with the pollution it takes to make the power to charge it, it still pollutes 98% less than a gas car. They're surprisingly cool, too!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home