Monday, October 15, 2007

The Meaning


It’s always fun when you see something and it invokes an opposite reaction than was intended.

Examples:
Stores decorated for Christmas invokes me to think “greed, consumerism and over extended credit.”

St Patrick’s Day invokes me to think “green vomit.”

Hearing a song considered an oldie invokes me to think “I am old.”

Seeing a new by-line in the Daily Astorian (aka The Daily Marquis) invokes me to think “Another bias reporter and Forrester puppet.”

Seeing a corporate jet coming in for a landing at the airport in Warrenton invokes, “Someone is in for a screwing today! Maybe lots of us.”

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Poorly done, irritating TV commercials which make me take note NOT to buy the product.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On sarcastic and cynical days, the bookshelf offers me Stegner's "Angle of Repose" and I wonder, not at the depth of the subject, but whether I'm there.

And then there's odd young men wheeling strollers around the outskirts of downtown. Not "how sweet" but "I wonder what's really in there?", or "why is mom the only one working?".

9:14 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, or you could name the product in a disparaging way on your blog and see if they reply to you ; )

Anon, Hey, tell me more about Stegner. I'm out of the loop with fiction, but would like to get back into it for a deserving author.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Damn, I sure missed reading this the past couple days.
And thinking that way is strange?? I thought everybody thought that way!!

11:39 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, there are some knuckle dragging slack jawed mouth breathers out here who get stiff nipples when think that the LNG industry is coming to town, like they will ever get a job there. Fortunately we do not have a Wal*Mart here yet either, but these people will be camping in their parking lot for a week just so they can be their first customer in the door. Rat bastards, all of em...

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose was honored by a Pulitzer Prize. Other fiction is All the Little Live Things, A Shooting Star, Recapitulation and The Spectator Bird (National Book Award Winner). Non-fiction books include The Uneasy Chair, and Living and Writing in the West.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home