Friday, March 28, 2008

An Acquired Taste


Every once in a while I hear the term, “Acquired Taste.” This is reserved for things that are so dreadful at first sampling that one must repeat the pain of endurance of whatever it is until we are desensitized to its disagreeable nature.

I’ve listened to music that was an acquired taste. I drink Campari, but I really draw the line at food; especially health food.

I once had some friends who were deeply into natural food which was for the most part tasteless mush with a Hindi name. One night they served a dessert bread after the meal. I took a bite and I nearly vomited. I spat it out. They both looked at me as I asked, “What the hell is that, tobacco bread?”

They laughed and told me what it was, which sounded more like a yoga pose than something someone would stick in their mouths. It was revolting to say the least.

This event was yet another nail in the coffin for my never wanting to eat in public, and this is really getting in the way of being normal.

I have a big speaking engagement coming up. This small organization is paying me big bucks to come to their part of the world to do an all day lecture class. They are very excited and have been preparing for this event for months. They already have sixty people registered and are expecting ninety to a hundred people all together. They’ve invited me to join a group of them for dinner after the lecture, and I can’t tell them I hate eating around people and being around people who are eating. I must be gracious and suck it up. I’m sure I’ll be tricked into eating some sort of regional swill that they have been eating since their ancestors plowed with mules. They take it for granted, but it is an acquired taste for anyone from anywhere else.

Yeah, yeah, I can hear you all laughing...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the group is Scottish sheep farmers who all wear kilts to the sit down and then they bring out the Haggis to the skirl of bagpipes. Just ask for a couple extra shots of that fine single malt they serve with it. You'll be fine.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, I've never been one to be shy about sayin' "uh hell no, I'm not eating that and I'm sorry if I offend you". I don't even feel the need to explain to them that I have a sensitive stomach.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I've eaten stuff no average American would even try, long before the TV shows were made about doing it. I will honestly say that very few things fit into the 'never again' category. I'll not sicken you by listing them:)

1:10 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, don't get me going on bag pipes.

Denise, I don't want to make anyone cry. My replies that come to mind would do just that.

(N.A.)Mike, Being your blog has taken on a foodie tone, I'd suspect you were able to sample all sorts of stuff.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ha, ha, ha!! I'm laughing.

9:11 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Chantel, somehow I knew you would. But's that's OK because sometimes I laugh at you and you don't know it.
; )

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy,

I saved you some hall food... your favorite!

2:49 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Barbie, behave your self.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home