Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Don't Laugh


I don’t care how much of a people person one might claim to be, I am willing to bet there are people in your life; at home, at work, at school or at a business you frequent that you simply can not stand. I am not a people person so my list is lengthy.

My latest pet peeve is laughers. Sure it’s nice to hear the joy in a good occasional laugh, but I frequent a place where there is one woman who laughs are reminiscent of the sound of Flipper. Worse yet, they are non stop. It is like hearing a television from a different room. You can’t see the show, but you can hear the canned laughter erupt every five seconds.

When ever I visit this place I can hear this woman, never fail. Every five seconds Flipper comes to life. What could possibly be that funny? How can her co-workers stand it? My interactions there are brief and I’m ready to wield a hatchet and hack up cubicles and their contents until there is silence. I mean, damn…

One good thing is that it makes me appreciate the silence when I leave, but Flipper is now in my head.

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

You are such a lovable curmudgeon!
I have a friend who laughs like Popeye - cracks me up every time.
(Perhaps a Flipper laugh might drive me crazy, too...)

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He who laughs last didn't get it??

Moose

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently left a job where there was an office across the hall from mine that housed a very peculiar collection of individuals. The entire last year there was one woman who seemed to find everything just hilarious and, as each occurrence took place, her laugh sounded like a hysterical maniac. To say that it was distracting was an understatement--there were days when I wanted to go over there and slap her so she would snap out of it!
jb

8:29 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks, Beth, lovable curmudgeon. That's an odd combination of words.

Moose, and those who laugh constantly are window lickers on the short bus.

JB, Same office you are talking about with a new cast member. The one that annoyed you is gone but was quickly replaced. Maybe a quota deal.

9:59 AM  
Blogger weese said...

Hmm, the more I read you...the more I think we have in common. My dislike for people comes to mind.

On Wednesday's we go to 'wings night' at the local sports bar.
We joking call it family dinner night - which it is, but our kids are big so its not completely horrible having family dinner night in a bar...or so we like to think.

Anyway... there is a guy who sits at the bar, every Wednesday, who has a very loud, ridiculous laugh. He seemingly laughs at EVERYthing.

It used to make me insane. I have since acquiesced. and now, its just a part of 'wings night'. I wonder if I would actually miss him if he stopped showing up.

10:40 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Also JB, your replacement is pretty unique as well...

Weese, you could try another night, or you could kill him. I'm just sayin...

10:54 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Not enough people here to get on my nerves, but a 'Flipper-laugh' would definitely do it!! Hell, even the &*%$*&^^(#$ Flatland Tourists don't bother me too F*****G MUCH!!!!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Snort laughs drive me crazy. I mean, what's that all about???

11:38 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Easy Mike. I only wish I could post my Flipper sound file on Blogger so you all could enjoy it.

Mo3, that could be a combination of a laugh and a purr.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

...or a laugh and a fart.

10:13 PM  
Blogger weese said...

hmm.. since the wings are 20 cents only on Wednesday...guess I have to go for planB.

8:54 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, that's an involuntary contribution, or let's call it value added.

Weese, see? You have to pay one way or the other.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home