Sunday, March 16, 2008

What Your Art Says About You


I find it odd to go into someone’s office who displays pictures of predators. I’ve seen them in doctors, lawyers and other professional offices; prints of wolves and cougars. Are they trying to send some sort of subliminal message to their clients? I'm not sure if I want to deal with them when I see this sort of worship going on, or even worse, having them identifying with these predators.

I was recently driving behind an RV that had a painting of a mountain scene with a giant cougar head in the center. What the hell is that all about? First I wonder who would actually pay for that sort of thing, next I wonder what sort of message are they sending to others on the road? If an RV were to have a factual painting it should have a giant hogs ass painted on the back.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

With the exception of lawyers, I figure anyone who hangs that kind of art on their walls is just a wannabe predator. Real predators don't advertise their intentions - they simply pounce...

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So by your standards no one should be able to admire a beautiful carnivore unless they themselves kill their own prey?

If that's the case then I'd better get rid of the water fall poster behind me since I can't pee a river. Oh and the dinosaur print in the bathroom must go since I'm warm blooded.

I'll let me aunt know here collection of ancient Samurai art has to go since she's only 5'1" and not even 110 lbs.

I'm not anonymous I just don't remember my password
Columbiacontrolfreak

8:20 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

CCF, no, you can have all the bad art you want, but realize what it says about the owner.

Beth, Doesn't it make you wonder about abstract people?

8:34 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Perhaps first, you should be questioning what you're interpretation of the art says about YOU.

I have pictures of wolves in my office. My (now) ex-wife got them during our marriage ... and gave them to me because she didn't have room for them after the divorce. They're in my office because I don't have the drywall up in my living room, yet. So, no, I don't have them up because I like wolves. I don't have them up because I like predators. Nor do I hate wolves/predators, they "just are".

The pictures are up because I have them, and the office walls would be bare otherwise.

I think most people don't go looking for pictures that they think say something about themselves. They go looking for pictures that they like, and will fit the space.

Although ... I always chuckle at my mom's choice of bathroom pictures. They always make you think of relaxing. LOL!

11:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walt, After reading your reasoning for carrying a gun, I had you pegged for a wolf guy.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Actually, Guy ... I've always thought of myself more of a coyote. Especially given the "AmerInd" mythos surrounding Coyote.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home