Monday, March 10, 2008

The Buzz Words of Sales


While driving through a rural area of Oregon recently I saw some road signs that were almost representative of the old Burma Shave campaign. The signs held words that are now buzz words that entice us to buy.

The first sign said, “Oregon Grown.” I like that. I’m into supporting the local economy. The more local it is the better I like it.

The next sign said, “Organic.” OK, that sells a lot, but I don’t usually fall prey to this buzzword because I have little respect for certifying agencies, especially Oregon Tilth. However, it got me to read the next sign.

“Free Range” was the next sign, so I’m thinking poultry. There are no free range cattle in Tillamook County unless there is a broken fence. I like free range because animals can actually have a life before they are sacrificed for our nourishment.

The next sign simply said, “Fire Wood.” Yes, fire wood can be all those things. It can also be “Aged to Perfection”, “Hand Sliced.” Good marketing can go a long way with well chosen descriptions of what ever one is trying to sell. If I were in the market for fire wood I would have supported this individual, not only because he exaggerates about his product, but because he cares enough about it to exaggerate.

11 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

After too many experiences of (stupidly) being a victim of great advertising/marketing, I am now wary and cautious of ANY kind of sign or promotion.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Wow Guy, big PHARMA must love that attitude, seeing as they claim their pills, etc. will do almost anything they can think of. The MASTERS of exageration!!:)

7:16 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I like seeing those signs on the side of the road, advertising something great!, er, um, yeah. Always makes me wish I had a paintball gun and a steady driver. :P

And what's wrong with certifying agencies?

7:21 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth and Mike, I like to reward creativity, though no words or ad campaign will convince me into believing that most industries aren't out to get us, they are. I was reacting to a local person with their local small business.

These signs were on this guy's property, real home spun. It got my attention.

Jaggy, I don't know about the certifying agencies in other states, but Oregon Tilth is the worst. First they don't ever return phone calls or emails. Next they allow prophylactic use of antibiotic in some animals. The classes they offer have more than a hint of weird Woo Woo that has absolutely no basis in science or agriculture. I was once asked to do a class for them where they wrote the curriculum. It was counter science and bordered on a combination of alchemy and witchcraft with some fairy dust thrown in.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

It's okay. I don't work for Oregon Tilth. :) I'm not a fan of the organic movement anyway: ALL food is organic... it's the inorganic food you have to watch out for! :P

11:46 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

To your beard
don't be a slave
shave it off
with Burma Shave!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Daryl Moore said...

Do you know how the FDA defines Free Range?

"Access to the outside." General practice is at least 5 minutes per day average.

Not really "free range" if you ask me...but I guess it's not up to me.

12:10 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Damn, Daryl, that's pretty sad. Sounds like it was up to a lobbyist to come up with that. Yet another reason I'm getting into poultry this year.

5:39 AM  
Blogger weese said...

ha! love it!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved this!!!

We raise that kinda firewood. It doesn't hit our fireplace for the most part unless it was "harvested naturally."

(a/k/a windkill)

I had to share it with my son, though, who cuts, splits and sells firewood as a sideline while he's attending college. He was scandalized.

5:18 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It's hard to believe you have a college aged son.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home