Friday, February 29, 2008

Hidden Treasure


If you’ve been following the local blogs, Auntie L recently moved in with Uncle Bob. No it’s not as incestuous as it sounds, Bob is not her uncle. Anyway, auntie is giving stuff away, without regards to if you want it or not.

When Auntie showed up at my door with a frame I got excited, free art! Better yet, free Auntie art; I know it has to be good. OK the frame was this kitchy golden goopie thing that begs to have plastic grapes and bottle caps hot glued to it. Oddly the painting was an abstract nude that just doesn’t go with the house or the rest of the art in my home. So, I’m thinking, what the hell am I going to do with this? Do I put it up and change the entire temper of my collection or do I re-gift it?

I look the whole thing over and I notice that the painting in the front is larger than the backing paper taped in the back. Then I start to think, why would an artist tape a piece of expensive heavy watercolor paper to the back of a mat? Most folks would use cardboard to firm up the back. I peal back the tape and I find another painting beneath it. It is a lovely watercolor of flowers. Auntie obviously didn’t like it so she taped it to the back to firm up the painting in front. This one will grace my walls. Thank you, Auntie!

5 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

You are most (unknowingly) welcome!

7:25 AM  
Blogger weese said...

found art!

10:11 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It is a lovely piece. Now what to do with the frame...

5:25 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Nice piece!! Would go well with our large bathroom's paint and fit just right on the big empty wall:)

1:37 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry Mike, it's not for sale. The frame however...

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home