Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Need to Get Out More Often



Today was, “Meet My Hero Day.” As planned, I arrived at the appointed coffee shop at the appointed time as Matt and his lovely fiancé were walking up the street. I’m not calling her by name here since he seems to not mention her name on his blog. I turned off my Marilyn Manson CD; didn’t want to freak them out.

If you read my post and comments from a few days ago I was dissing the Fisher Poets as usual, and eventually commented that we would be having coffee at a non-Fisher Poet venue and that we would have our coffee long before the fishers put in their teeth and combed the vomit out of their beards. Well, sure enough when we went in the coffee shop there was a guy with a beard with all sorts of crap in it. I didn’t point it out to Matt.

Anyway, we had a great chat about farms and trees and fishing and chickens and advertising and promotions and Wyden, and Smith and blogs…

One thing about spending any time in a small town coffee shop is you are bound to see people you know. It used to annoy the crap out of Auntie L when ever we would meet for coffee, which is odd because she knows probably hundreds more local people than I.

Anyway, as we were finishing our conversation a friend who I haven’t seen in nearly a year came in. I’m not using her name either because associating with me would make her a pariah in some of her circles. Let’s just say she’s really cool.

After Matt left I stayed and chatted with my friend until her coffee partner arrived. It all reminded me of how my life used to be before I took on so much responsibility that now keeps me out of the taverns and coffee houses. I miss those days of great conversation.

Today was great, I made real friends with a virtual friend and his lovely fiancé, and I got to catch up with a dear friend who has taken on a lot of responsibility, herself. When I left the coffee shop my life returned to normal. I picked up a half ton of hay, I turned the horses out and I started up the chain saw, but the delight of meeting with these people this morning is still with me. I want more.

Matt, you are still my hero. I hope you both survived the Fisher Poets without Lithium.

5 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Guy...."duh" Who has been on you for a year about your need to get out more often. See how good it is for your soul? (if you indeed have one LOL)

We went to Fulios for an early meal last night and saw many fisher poet groupies as we sat in the front window to do some fisher poet watching.

Glad you got to get out and meet your blog-hero and his bling and also your old girl friend.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Would this be classified as a "man crush"?

8:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

She wasn't a girlfriend auntie. Stop trying to get me in trouble.

Lori, and now you, too? I'm too lazy to look it up but I did an article on Matt a couple months back. He is living the life that I used to, and even better. He is my hero for doing so not that I no longer am able. Outdoors for me these days usually means work.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Bpaul said...

Matt's my hero as well. I just don't get out enough, especially to fish. Thank god I can live vicariously through his blog, and the Mule's as well.

1:11 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

And all he does is travels. Doesn't he spend any time at home? I wish I could get away from home more often.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home