Friday, February 22, 2008

I Forgot!


Last year around this time I had a post about an annual gathering of my friends from the Manzanita and Nehalem: Table for Six

I got an email form one of the fellows this morning to tell me they missed me at the get-together last night. Damn it! Shit! Damn it! I missed it. I look forward to it all year. They invited me last week and I totally forgot. Damn it! Shit!

I have one of those minds where I remember just about everything, at least the important facts. I rarely ever write things down or even consult a calendar. Tell me a time and a place and I’m there. This is the first time I’ve forgotten about men’s night out.

Was I moon struck? No, though I did enjoy watching the eclipse. I just forgot. I thought about it on Monday, but that was the last time.

I hope this isn’t the beginning of a memory problem. I’ve always had a short attention span, but I don’t normally forget things, just ignore them.

I had a friend named Julian who used to do the NY Times Crossword every day. He always finished the puzzle; never missing a word. One day he missed a word and he knew there was a problem. He went to a doctor and sure enough he had a brain tumor. He died a year later.

I am meeting my blog hero Matt Stanberry for coffee this Saturday. I will write this appointment down. If I miss that I’ll check in for a MRI on Monday. I have speaking engagements scheduled across the state over the next few weeks. I’ll now be writing those down as well. I’m too young to be put in a corner with a flash light. Damn it…Shit!

9 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Guy - I like to look at it like this: I just have SO much to remember, and my brain is SO full of IMPORTANT stuff - a veritable lifetime of data - that some things are bound to slip through. Well, I say that when I remember I wanted to look at it that way.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Guy - so when you USED TO GO to the party of six (is this like the gang of four?) are you seated so that you can see food as its being eaten? Do you yourself eat?

8:18 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

PS, have fun with Matt and try to stay away from too much of that Fisher Poet Stink......

8:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, I can't rationalize forgetfulness for myself. I don't want to ever become a day-planner user.

Auntie, we meet at the Warren Pub in Tolovanna. It is dark in there. You nearly need a miners carbide lamp just to find your plate. As for meeting Matt, it will be in a poetry free zone and we will be meeting long before the fishers put in their teeth and brush the vomit from their beards.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pappy,
Next thing you know we'll see you on the little bus in the Christmas parade with all the "blue hairs."

11:06 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Licking the windows...

11:44 AM  
Blogger 4 said...

I love it. I can't wait to see them brush the vomit from their beards! You could be an anti-fishermen poet.

Looking forward to tomorrow! Don't forget.

Seriously, I just started writing stuff down a couple months ago, and now I'm forgetting to write stuff down.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I have too much crammed into my little cranium to remember everything. Without Microsoft Outlook's calendar, I'd never show up to anything.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"we will be meeting long before the fishers put in their teeth and brush the vomit from their beards."

Man Guy, that is sick. Funny as shit and spot on, but sick. I think I'm gonna puke.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home