Thursday, February 21, 2008

Conferences, Expos and Shows



Those who are passionate about the things they do or involved with usually end up, sooner or later, going to a conference, expo or trade show. I’ve run through several over the years. These days I mostly go to Ag Expos and Horse Expos.

Years ago we would never miss a Home and Garden show, if for nothing else than to fill our nostrils with the smell of cedar bark. Nearly every booth has a raffle to sign up for, but when you do you can expect all sorts of phone solicitations to come your way over the next six months.

I’ve been to Rock, Gem and Jewelry shows. The great things about those are looking at the cool tools that other trades use. I’m always amazed by human inventiveness when it comes to making tools. There are cool tools at Flock and Fiber shows, too.

I’ve never been tempted to go to a Gun and Knife Show, simply because I’d want to kill everyone there.

Years ago I went to a Sci-Fi convention called Luna-Con. Talk about weird. There were folks in all sorts of costumes. They had rooms where there were banks of VCRs dubbing copies of movies that were bootlegged. I met Asimov, Rodenberry, Mark Rogers and the Brothers Hildebrand there. My favorite was Mike Jittlov. I have copies of his work before the Wizard of Speed and Time. Very cool stuff.

Anyway, after a couple years of attending a show or Expo you get the feeling like you’ve seen it all. My attention span is short, so I’m losing interest in the shows I attend these days unless I’m being paid to speak at them. It all makes me wonder what I’ll be interested in ten years from now. I could use something new right about now.

7 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I used to sell comic books at sci fi conventions - interestin' bunch.

6:21 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Maybe you should take a trip to Japan to see some cosplay

1:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, why did you stop ; )?

Rich, Damn...damn...I mean, damn! I understand there are conventions for people who like to dress up in animal costumes. Plushies. I mean, Damn!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

If ya wanna collect something rare, there's always old glass 'skeet' targets, or glass Japanese fishing net floats:)

4:01 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Good news, Guy, there's a convention in Portland on Labor Day weekend: http://www.kumoricon.org/ I know you'll be there!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

CRAFT EXPO! You should sell your art at a craft expo!

11:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, so you've been here...

Rich, where did I put that plastic wig...

Mo3, I actually have attended one of those, not selling. Tampon crafts would be a big hit at the Oregon Country Fair.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home