Monday, February 25, 2008

Just The Facts Please


I can’t tell you how often my mood gets ruined when listening to someone who is supposedly a leader in some field of research and they spoil their talk or lecture by saying something completely stupid.

Most times it’s their religious convictions that get in the way. Words they slip in like “Creation” spoils it for me. I get equally offended when political words are slipped in.

To me, scientific research needs to be done by someone with a mind that isn’t clouded by prejudice or preconceived notions. It needs to be a blind study with a control group. Documentation should be of factual observation, not supposition. When results are not apparent they should not be presented as something God doesn’t want us to know yet.

This has all been in my mind for a while. I am recalling a lecture I once attended by an IPM researcher. The lecturer was talking about several experiments that just weren’t producing any results. He actually said that he blamed the lack of results on Mercury being in retrograde during that particular week.

Mercury doesn’t retrograde you idiot! It just goes to show that his mind is stuck in a primitive loop where the earth was flat and the Sun went around the Earth. How can I trust and believe anything that is said by a researcher that believes that a planet actually reverses its orbit every once in a while? This lecturer should be doing horary charts and reading tarot cards at the Psychic Fair instead of trying to cloak his beliefs in the scientific experimentation that he says he is doing.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The earth does reverse its magnetic field every so often...the natives called it "the time when the rivers ran backward"...:|

love reading your stuff guy...and I don't care if I ever meet you in person...keep up the good work...

8:17 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

hee hee hee

Reminded me of Bill Murray's character in Ghostbusters, where he's testing the students on their "psychic ability". LOL

Though there's quite a bit of stuff in the Bible that scientists used to say didn't exist, because they couldn't prove it. Yet they keep finding stuff 'cause our technology to find it gets better ... sometimes thanks to scientists who advance the technology to find Biblical evidence other scientists scoff at.

IIRC, a lot of early scientists figured out there were "scientific constants" based on beliefs that "God must have a set of rules to keep everything orderly. So let's figure out what those rules are." Okay, they didn't actually say that. But it's what I read between the lines when they had to defend their research against the Church.

2:05 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks Anon, and when it was tidal they were called rivers that run both ways.

Walt, I wonder how they justify Quantum Physics? There are major double standards where if I say I communicate with the Easter Bunny I get a trip to the state hospital, but if I say I communicate with God I am a prophet and people will send me money. Art imitating life, fiction imitating fact...I just want to leave the fiction and psychosis out of something being represented as fact.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Theories, religious, scientific, or otherwise are just that until proved factual. Everything not factual in any arena is 'taken on faith alone'. Old Indian go watch 2-way rivers now. Got 2-way waterfalls too:)

2:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, be sure to stand up-wind and point it down. Avoid electric fences.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Guy - I don't think any early scientists had a clue about Quantum Physics. When I say "early", I mean Newton at the latest.

As I've said numerous times ... science (being the study of the natural world) will never be able to prove/disprove the existance of God (a supernatural being).

As to the Easter Bunny ... perhaps he's a Puka named Harvey?

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home