Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sweetening the News


A long while ago I complained that I don’t take TV news seriously when they sweeten a story by playing a music track beneath the news. Well now I can no longer listen to NPR news because they sweeten their news with programmed sounds. I driving somewhere the other day and they are doing a story and they bump up the sound of a police siren.

The sound system in my truck is so good that I thought there was a cruiser behind me. It scared the crap out of me. Later in the newscast there was the sound of an engine revving, and it sounded like my truck. I looked at the tachometer to see what the hell was going on, and then I realized it was the radio. I don’t need this crap when I’m driving. From now on I’m going to turn off the news and turn up Marilyn Manson and drive on.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Well, heaven knows that when you hear a police siren for real, it would probably be because you are driving too slow and therefore need to get a ticket!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I gave up listening to news (and commercials) while driving long ago.
It's just me and my music - a great escape.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

What I hate, is listening to a streaming station (on the computer) at work ... and it suddenly becomes an infotainment program. Hey, I turned to the station based on their Live365 statement that they were classical, country, bluegrass, etc. It didn't mention anything about being a part-time "talk" show trying to sell me the latest diet or whatnot. Plus, they're supposed to be commercial free.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Crowbar said...

Listening to (or looking at) Marilyn Manson may cause you to hear sirens and engines revving as well. They're coming to get you guy.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Driving bathed in the sound of the air rushing by is my preferred mode these days for all the reasons already stated:)

1:16 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, you're being nasty again.

Beth, and what music would that be?

Walt, I use dial-up so there's no streaming for me.

Crowbar, It's just a phase I'm going through.

Mike, I'm an open window driver as well. Mostly because the compressor for the AC is shot.

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home