Wednesday, March 05, 2008

What's In Your Rig?


We are all used to seeing local pick-up trucks and the cargo in their beds. Around here the items most often found it pick-up beds are fuel tanks, fishing gear, empty cans, coolers and dogs. However if you travel in other parts of the state you will find all sorts of other regional cargo like surf boards, wood, trash, engine parts.

Some people have vanity pick-ups that never carry anything in them but occasional rain. It’s hard to believe that people would buy a pick-up truck and never use it to haul stuff.

On a recent trip to Coos Bay I found that their regional pay load was much different than ours. Just about ever truck bed down there contains a 4-wheeler. No motorcycles, just 4-wheelers. Pick-up owners down there spend their recreation time riding the dunes. They also often have a couple on the truck and even more on a trailer they are pulling behind.

Folks down there could immediately tell I was from out of town. I have hay in my truck bed. It’s not that I drive around with bales of hay. It’s just that I haul hay so often that I’ve given up on cleaning the scraps out of the truck. The loose hay just sits there and turns to compost. I try to clean it out quarterly and add it to the garden. I’m long past due for a clean-out, but I have to get hay again today.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Don't own a rig but my old Subaru station wagon used to be filled with stinky hockey equipment. (So typically Canadian...)

6:04 AM  
Blogger weese said...

My father-in-law is one of those guys that is super picky about his truck. My daughters boyfriend was moving furniture out of it the other day and I cringed as he dragged it across his perfect truck bed.
Tho I agree with you. If you have a truck - use it!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is full of snow...again. 400 cm and counting...

Yeah...what's with that set up a google account in order to comment...

Moose

11:09 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

My pick-up bed can be cleaned out? Who'd a thunk it??:)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

My "rig" is full of carseats, kiddie snack wrappers and 1/3 of the last load I took away from my rental that I can bring myself to unload yet.

Evidently my car has seatbelts, Guy!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

20 years ago, I borrowed a coworkers pickup to transport a few other coworkers and our golf clubs for a golfing weekend. I let her use my Subaru hatchback while we were gone. When we got back home, I swapped our vehicles and discovered that she had put a bale of hay in the back to feed her horses. 2 years after that, there was still hay throughout the car! Thank God I don't suffer from hayfever!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love those $1000 rigs with the $6000 4-wheeler in the back.

6:49 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, I'm surprised Moosehead isn't trying to get together with you. That must be music to his ears.

Weese, a spray in liner helps even the picky cope with use.

Sorry, Mose I have no controll over the experiments Google does with Blogger. I'm not crazy about it, but wordpress is worse.

You da man, Mike, how old is your collection?

Auntie, nbow all you need to do is learn to use them.

Jeff, you would not believe where hay shows up around here. I should collect it all and bale it.

You've got it, TH. I saw a lot of that.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Clue: they're doing a 'dig' in it next summer looking for stone age artifacts:)

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie, I'm with you. I friggin hate seat belts. IF there was a choice I might wear them. No sign. I have a feeling I am being watched. ;)

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home