Sunday, March 09, 2008

It's All Connected


Modern transportation is a pretty amazing concept and reality. Considering it all began with trails that early hunters and traders used to hunt for food and trade goods with distant villages we have since developed interstate and international highways. I find it interesting that if one had a reason to, one could leave their driveway and drive ribbons of roads and end up at Hudson Bay or Terra Del Fuego. Every road connects to other roads which connect to other roads.

It’s interesting to think of all the petroleum that has been used to create all that asphalt. It’s a wonder the ground doesn’t collapse from the void left behind when the oil is removed from the ground.

I always find it odd when a road or a bridge is called “The Road or The Bridge to Nowhere.” There is one in Alaska and Seattle. The Astoria Bridge was once called “A Bridge to Nowhere.” I wonder how the residents of Washington felt about that? Personally I would love to live in a place that was deemed “Nowhere.”

Being that my neighborhood has gained in popularity I no longer live in “Nowhere.” The traffic out my way is amazing. It used to be one car passed my house every half hour. Now there is a constant stream of traffic.

A funny thing is that one development that generates the most traffic in my area is suddenly finding itself in transition. All the folks who purchased these new homes are finding out that they can’t afford to live out here, so all the homes are on the market again. What a waste of good forest land. Those homes were totally unnecessary. There were plenty of homes that needed new owners elsewhere. There were enough roads out there already without creating a new one.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

For some reason, I'd also find it appealing to live in a place called "Nowhere." Or Neverland???
(Not going to analyze why...)

7:01 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

What I find amazing is that you can still see the old wagon ruts from the trails across the plains.

And "ground penetrating radar" satellites have revealed ancient roads, that weren't visible by other means. Which also resulted in the discovery of the locations of ancient cities, long buried.

btw - the picture looks like it's from the opening chapter of 1632 by Eric Flint.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have they built that bridge to nowhere in Alaska yet? I used to love riding the ferry boats across the Columbia. It was like 15 cents for foot traffic.

9:48 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I think it would be pretty cool to have a town named, "Nowhere."

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if you've ever been to Ketchikan...........

7:53 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

No, I haven't been. I'd like a nowhere where there isn't so much racial tension.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Wrong!

Sometimes, you have to take a ferry.

Or a tram. Like to San Jacinto.

7:07 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mo3, That is a good way to get to Nowhere.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was recently in Long Beach, WA and I can confidently say that bridge in Astoria may in fact be a road to nowhere.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home