Saturday, March 29, 2008

Good Deeds, Bad Deeds


Twenty one years ago when I decided to move out here, people back East asked me what I was going to do out here. To most of them I was insane for quitting my job, selling my house and moving three thousand miles away without any job or occupation to go to. They feared I’d starve, piss all my money and return a year later in ruins.

At that time I suppose I was an optimist, and I didn’t take the potential perils all that seriously. I got tired of telling all the concerned friends that I planned to do nothing for a couple years and figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. This to them was an unacceptable answer, so I started telling people that I planned on spending my life doing good deeds. I also told them that if I do what I enjoy eventually I will get paid for it.

When one does good deeds without even thinking of it they always seem to be repaid. I was driving past some cows the other day and I noticed one looked injured, so I turned the truck around and drove down the long driveway to the farmer’s house. I’d never met this rancher before, but I had to tell him my concerns. He was grateful I stopped, but told me that cow had a cancerous growth, and that he and the vet have been treating it. False alarm, but no harm, no foul.

I was reminded of the times people have driven by my place and pointed things out to me. Once I was having a chimney fire and a guy stopped by to tell me. Another time people told me of a wounded deer they saw on my property. It is so good that people take the time for good deeds. It is so easy to just drive by and ignore something, but the doers of good deed seem to have paid me back several times over for the good deeds I have done over the years.

And, by the way, I don’t consider it a good deed to come to my house and talk to me about religion. That is the antithesis of a good deed in my book and will spread negatively through the community. Good begets good, and bad begets bad. This can make one realize that people who do bad things more than likely have a lot of bad things happen to them.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My neighbor bless his heart, came to inform me one day two years ago that my then 6 and 9 year old were leaving the house via the upstairs dormer circling the roof and then climbing back into the window. I was in the kitchen with the water on and didn't hear a thing, thinking they were safe in their room, I would have seen them fall past the kitchen window from the roof though.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have some regular JW's that come by thehouse. They usually do it when my daughter is here alone. If they come when I"m home I don't answer the door.

:)

8:49 AM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

Gee, it seems I'm on a similar path. Oh, don't know how many times I was told that I was leaving a good job, and that I was crazy to give it. But when it comes to having a job, and living in a area where people make you miserable and crazy, a sound mine has no choice. My favorite comment about living in VT, "why would anyone want to live in that god-forsaking place."

Keep doing good things... Robb

11:50 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

We'll never be wealthy in terms of money, because when someone needs something, we just tend to give it to them. But we're wealthy in other ways, and I will continue to do good works whenever I can, just to put more good energy out there than bad--not for any perceived payoff.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

p.s. And you know what SH does when religious folk try to preach on our property!!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's nice to think there are at least some of us who think to do something decent, even if it's a non-event, it's the thought and effort that are comforting.

Agree about the proselytizing. They can keep it.

4:29 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Denise, sometimes having kids is like having ferrets.

Chantel, it's hard to believe you don't mess with them for laughs and blog fodder.

Robb, it's always a good idea to move where no one wants to go or visit.

Mo3, expecting a pay off negates the act. SH loves messing with everyone, not just the preachers. He is my hero.

Nootka, it's a way of life. Either people live it or they don't. Glad you are in the "do" group.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

The comment that always gets me is "What the Hell do you DO up here? Don't you get bored?" Ans: "Nothing I don't want to do, and no, frankly, it's NEVER been boring here."

The door-to-door religion retailers learned very soon after I moved here that it was better not to interrupt my avid pursuit of doing nothing:)

7:48 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

By the way Guy, you've reminded me why I vowed never to blog when hungry:):):)

7:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, somehow I doubt you are ever hungry for very long.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie was being nice to some JWs at our old place, inviting them in to chat, etc. It made them crazy -- rabid. Luckily we moved.

4:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Matt how is KP? Did she like the film?

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home