Sunday, March 30, 2008

Hearing is Believing


I’m amazed by the noise we all get used to. The other day I sat in a quiet house. There was no rain or hail hitting the roof. There was no wind and the refrigerator compressor was not running. The heat pump was silent. There were no motorized sounds coming inside from the outdoors; no cars, trucks trimmers, motorcycles or chainsaws.

It was so refreshing sitting there reading only accompanied by the ringing in my ears and the sound of a clock ticking on a wall far away. When you can hear a clock ticking you know it’s quiet.

Though I do have ringing in my ears, I still seem to hear pretty well. I can hear things like when someone turns a dimmer all the way down but not off. I can hear a light bulb buzz a B flat and it annoys the heck out of me. I can hear when my tires need to be rotated. I wonder how much better my hearing would be if I were blind?

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike S said...

I 'hear' ya! Something we have in common. I've come to the conclusion that tinnitus masks some of the other sounds so we hear things likes clocks, bulbs, FANS,much better(?)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I can hear when a TV is on even though there is no picture and the TV is muted.

I can hear the electronic whirring of my cordless optical mouse when it's really late at night and the apartment is quiet.

And sometimes I can hear the train whistle as the train crosses the tracks a mile across town. I miss that sound.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

When the power goes out, before the generators kick on, that's what it's like.

11:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, I often wonder how good it would be without the ringing.

Jaggy, I always assumed that was a screen noise and not a mouse noise. Pretty cool.

Mo3, I hear you on the generators. It's like the Carni came to town when the power goes off.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home