Friday, April 25, 2008

The Voters Pamphlet


I’m just one of those people who look forward to getting the voters pamphlet before every election. There are always gems that await me inside. For the election this May there are two people that jumped out at me with the “Ho-Boy!” factor. Both are running for US Senate.

First, Democratic candidate, Pavel Goberman’s statement reads like someone who is willing to throw in the kitchen sink if he can get someone’s attention. He has worked in nearly every profession known to man and holds opinions that cross Democratic party lines into the realms of the Republican, Libertarian and Communist parties, and maybe more. He wants punishments for crime to be harder. He wants to lock up the borders. He wants English as the only language in the country. This guy is all over the place and certainly gives this pamphlet a comedic break.

Next is the Republican who is also opposing Gordon Smith for his Senate seat, Gordon Leitch. His statement reads like one of those rambling diatribes that Abraham Simpson has on the Simpsons , “Back when I was young in Shelbyville nickels had bees on them and you’d ask for five bees for a quarter and then we wore onions around our necks…”

I know I’m just a dopey blogger, and I don’t fully understand the history of US economics and economic theory, but damn, that is nothing to build a run for the Senate upon.

There is a part of me that wonders how much fun politics would be if we all decided to vote in only the total whack jobs. Tin foil hats and everything. I wonder if we might be better off.

So, that is as far as I’ve gotten. I see ahead three ballot measures that seem to have no statements of disagreement, but when I see the names that are for it being Kevin Manix and the Oregon District Attorneys Association I become full of skepticism and fear. Someone’s civil rights are probably on the line here and careful reading needs to be done. Especially since they are constitutional changes. Tread carefully people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Walt said...

There is a part of me that wonders how much fun politics would be if we all decided to vote in only the total whack jobs. Tin foil hats and everything. I wonder if we might be better off.

At the least, I imagine our legislative sessions would be as interesting to watch as Britain's. I love watching them when they debate.

Then there's the question of what would happen when all the conspiracy freaks are the ones in charge. Would they have mental breakdowns, realizing they're now the ones in charge of the conspiracies?

Of course, the great thing would be that ... since it's almost impossible for whackjobs to work together ... gov't would be gridlocked. Meaning it couldn't interfere in our daily lives.

6:33 AM  
Blogger OregonGuy said...

William F. Buckley once said he would rather be governed by the first 400 people in the Boston phonebook, than by the faculty of Harvard.

I think he assumed random distribution, since I've seen no studies that suggest that people whose last names beginning with "A" have any notable characteristics that would tend to fit outside the area bounded by a normal distribution curve.

Or course, it could have been a form of discrimination, given that there are no Mc's or O's among the A's.

Boston is Boston.

.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I heard Eddie Izzard might be getting into politics in Britain. If so, I can't wait to see the televised legislative sessions. Nothing says good TV like Brits shouting at each other profanely in public for no good reason.

I can see it now: "Cake or death, Ms. Thatcher, cake or death?" ROFL!

10:52 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

When you think of it, remember how crazy it was when Jesse Ventura became a governor? He turned out to be pretty good. Reagan was another one. Who would have thought he would have been a respected leader.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home