Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Roll Call



The topics I posted on over the weekend brings to mind how I’ve come to know many of you over the years. The Astoria Rust family has been growing every month. I no longer check stats, but back when I was a stat whore I was getting about 80 unique hits a day.

The earliest readers here were TH and the Cartons. I found Mother of Three and commented on her blog and she returned the favor and I think brought with her one of her readers, Jaggy, Auntie L and I think this is how Mel found Rust as well. Mel brought with her Donna and a new commenter as of yesterday, Loopysandqueen came via Mel or Denise. I don't recall how Denise came here. I may have found her site first. Carrie B seems to have the ability to sniff out a new local blog within minutes of its inception. I think Jeff came here through NCO.

I found Syd at Adrenaline’s Shadow by mistake. She used to use blogger, and one day while logging on to post I saw the name of her blog scroll by on the login screen. I don’t know what it was but the name intrigued me so I clicked on her blog and I’ve returned several times every day since. Syd has become my closest cyber friend. Posting replies on her site got some of her readers to visit my blog as well; Trop, Weese, Bayou, Lachlan, Zoe, Boo7 and Lee. Boo7 readers Trish and Beth then became readers here.

I have no idea how Lori Hahn found me, but she seemed to have brought Mike S along for the ride. I don’t know how Rich found his way here. Matt said he found this blog through Orblogs.com. My stats reported I was getting hits from his site so I looked him up and saw that he linked me.

I found Chantel on Orblogs. She had written a story about a very personal piece of machinery that was broken. I lurked on her site for months before ever replying to something she wrote. I love bloggers who are as open and honest as Chantel. I want to say so much about her and what she writes, but it would be hard writing about her charms without being obsequious or flirtatious.

Moosehead and Gearhead come this way by another association. Robb is my nephew. Thom is a friend in New York State who is married to a lovely woman I dated while in my 20s. There are many readers that read every day and never reply. Some reply anonymously, which is cool.

Through the association of the readers I have 53 blogs that I subscribe to. I get notification when they are updated. So if you are a regular reader and have yet to reply, please do and formally join the Astoria Rust family.

19 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I found you through Boo. I miss Boo.

6:06 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

I found you through mel, a long time ago....forgot or lost you, for a while.
thanks for the bee info, it's wonderful, and more than i can get out of my books...
we have a bird here in michigan called a Junco, every year i see them catch wasps in mid air, beat them on the fence then feed them to their young.
I have bumbles, honey and many other kinds of bees, I'm still looking for the name to a small one that shows up around my pool for a few weeks that are very aggressive(very small sting too)
loopymama of michigan

6:31 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Some of your peeps comment on my blog too. Cool how that works, eh?

Love you, man.

6:37 AM  
Blogger weese said...

I actually found you long ago... then somehow your link got buried in my disorganized link list (its one of the very few areas of my life that is completly random).
then I found you again... and I am so glad I did.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travelled to your site via cindy prices site. Enjoyed her site, sorry she stopped posting.

Love your site, have learned a lot and laughed a lot.

I love it that you are not afraid to question authority and call them out when you see something is wrong...more power to you.

Power to the People..;)

10:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Lori, I miss Boo, too. Trish doesn't come around any more either.

Loopy a lurker?

Syd, one big happy family, or freak show, not sure which. Love you, too, Sis.

Weese, I'm glad we found one another because we are very like minded.

Anon, Too funny! That was a short lived association, about a week. She called this blog a "Must Read" until I did a less than favorable article on her husband. It seems like that was the day that local blogging got divided. The neighborly friendly associations among the local blogging community were gone. I've never seen or met Cyndi, but I'd be honored if she'd flip me off one day though I'm sure she has on many occasion.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Bpaul said...

I'm a lurker, but a very regular one. I can't remember where I ran across you first, maybe at www.orblogs.com or through Matt the eco-fisherman (damn him and his enviable travel posts...).

I appreciate your blog for the utter originality of the content. I would love to produce completely original content on mine, but while I'm in school I'm pinched enough for time I'm just happy to get a post in a day, even if it is sometimes just a '70's dance video with outrageous outfits.

Count The Institute of Jurassic Technology in on your roll.

Bp

1:27 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

This post reminds me of the Book of Matthew - and so and so begat so and so who begat so and so....
What a lovely family to belong to!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you me and Gearhead meeting up at that brothel in Marseilles. What was the chances! Remember that little one that you.. (rest of comment deleted by blog administrator)

Moosehead

4:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't remember how I found you. Did you comment on mine first or did I comment on yours? Ha. Ha. Ha

9:21 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Chantel, I was reading you for months. Re-read the article where I recount the time line.

Moose, Good thing Norm wasn't there.

Beth, one big happy cyber family.

Bpaul, Sometimes I forget who is out there. Thanks for chiming in.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Crowbar said...

Crowbar = Thom

3:33 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I have been reading your blog off and on for a long time. I had a baby and had to cut back on my internet but now I'm back again. I found your blog searching for something about Astoria one day. I grew up on the peninsula and in Astoria but now live in Southern California.

I like reading some of the Astoria blogs because it gives me a little reminder of home. I love your articles about random things that I might never have taken the time to research myself.

3:46 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thom, I thought Crowbar was a local who seemed to know me a little too well and it was you all along. Cool. Send my love to Deb.

OC, welcome back. Is this your 3rd child?

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading you for awhile now. I found you on ORBlogs while living in Portland. I have since relocated to beautiful Astoria. Best thing that has happened to me in a long time!

5:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Welcome, Cyn. Are you blogging? If so, feel free to share your blog address.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not blogging at this point. I am moving boxes. A lot of them. Up two flights of stairs. I am finding cardboard extremely unattractive....

8:52 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Give it all away and start anew ; )

9:36 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This was my 2nd kid, I don't know how Mom of 3 does it. Two is plenty for me! Ha.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home