Wednesday, April 16, 2008

OSU Cuts and Runs


Being a big fan of pollination as anyone who eats should be, I am saddened by the lack of progress being made at Oregon State University. Lately every news paper has been running articles on the collapse of honey bee colonies, and the most recent thing I read is that OSU isn’t even considering funding any honey bee research. Instead they are thrusting the burden on the agriculture industries to raise a million dollars for an endowment to fund a position.

This position was funded by OSU until their apiculturalist retired about five years ago. At that point Dean Thayne Dutson cut and ran and remained obtuse to any suggestion of restoring the position. He turned all negotiations over to associate Dean, Anita Azeranko, who seems to be more of a shill for the OSU Foundation than someone who would be willing to lobby for the importance of resumption of the program.

Dutson is now on his way out and will be replaced by Bill Boggess, as executive associate dean of Oregon State University's College of Agricultural Science. Hopefully Boggess will understand that if research isn’t done real soon the rest of his ag students better learn how to pollinate plants with paint brushes. They will be working harder, not smarter.

At present the local agricultural groups such as seed growers, orchardists, beekeepers, and others that need pollination to survive have raised about $25,000 with pledges that could probably double that figure. However they will never be able to raise enough to endow a position. As they near their goal the bar will be raised as it has been raised twice already.

WSU and UC Davis have departments working on this problem. How can OSUs agricultural program justify not being involved and shouldering some of the burdens that are being carried by other research institutions? Mr. Boggess, you have an opportunity to make your mark right here; right now.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

I personally think this is YOUR call to action, Guy. Get on it.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Yeah, Guy. Do it.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bee a Hero!

7:44 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Do what? Apply for a Dean position at OSU. I'm not a PhDoctor. I'd have a better chance becoming the Commissioner of District 3. Wouldn't that be funny. I bet I could get three Commissioners behind me. Shoot, I've got horses, maybe Sam would accept me as well ; )

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kay then... I'm putting this on Oregon Live.

11:15 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Feel free. I only wished I called Dutson a Douche Bag in the article.

Also, how can anyone find anything at Oregon Live. That site is a garbled mess of way too much stuff.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ive discovered a WORMHOLE in the INTERNET!


See my friend Glenn who will remain nameless started a blog this week that had a link to ASTORIA OREGON RUST.

I started scrolling around here and found this article and realized that I had been here before via a link at http://pure-orange.net.

Fattastic.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home