Sunday, April 20, 2008

Blogging


Having a blog has been really cool. I’ve become acquainted with many people I would never have met (virtually) in a million years. I have people writing me privately sharing scoops with me on all sorts of topics. I don’t write about 90% of the stuff that crosses my screen, but I am happy that folks share with me.

I’ve had several readers send me photos of people vomiting for my sick day posts. Keep em coming, by the way.

I’ve had people share music, DVDs and other items with me. I’ve had the opportunity to sip coffee with many of you over the years at the nicest coffee houses in town. I’ve met out of town bloggers here as well and I’ve visited some out of town bloggers on their turf. There are more I have yet to meet and promise I must; Chantel, Mel, Syd, Jaggy, Donna, Rich, Mike, Beth, Trop, Moosehead, Lachlan and Bayou, and Weese. Hope I haven’t left anyone out… I’m sure I’ll run into locals; Evil, Nootka and Walt one of these days.

Blogging has presented me with the opportunity for some writing on the side. I’ve had some opinion pieces that Tryan has run on North Coast Oregon, which is an honor.

Some articles I’ve posted here still get comments though they were posted months or years ago. I have comments from the blog e-mailed to me so I don’t miss any. My anti-United Way posts still get random comments every once in a while, and my article on Fibro Myalgia still has them coming in.

I’ve had some criticism over the years and I don’t mind it. Believe me, I know sometimes I’m full of shit, but I write it any way because it’s fun and entertaining. There are times where I didn’t realize that I was full of shit until months later. Though many are too proud to admit it, I openly admit when I’ve changed my mind. I’ve seen other bloggers delete their articles, and forum comments when they’ve changed their minds, hoping to cover their tracks. I know that readers have long memories, so it’s best not to try to BS your way out. Changing ones mind is sometimes fun. It’s like someone opened the door in a stuffy room and let some cool clean air in.

Blogging is what wakes me up every morning. As you may know I write all this stuff in advance. Before I go to bed every night I ponder what will be published the following morning. When I wake up I know which article it will be and I try to have a final look at it before committing to posting it by 5:30am.

Oddly, even after doing this for a couple years now I still wonder where the next idea will come from and just how long I can continue doing this on a daily basis. I’m sure I will run out one day. All I know is that I have today and tomorrow covered.

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

It never ceases to amaze me how blogging has enriched my life in so many ways. And although there are times I feel I should stop, I never do. (Or, haven't yet.)
I can't for the life of me remember how I "found" you, but I'm so glad I did.

6:26 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It was probably through Boo7 or her sister Trish. Boo found me via my comments at Syd's Adrenaline's Shadow. I miss Boo... : (

8:39 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Sometimes I don't have ideas, but generally just living or observing life will allow for plenty of topics. You "craft" your entries, whereas I just sort of write mine, however, which often shows.

I found Beth through you, but I've found so many other cool people through other avenues that I can't even recall.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Nice post, Guy.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really look forward to meeting up with you one of these days, Guy. :)

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home