Friday, August 15, 2008

Ahhh, Poop!


I was under my house yesterday replacing some pipes in the drainage system. Every once in a while I would catch a whiff of sewer fumes while the pipe was open. It was then that I realized how often my life involves dealing with shit. Other than constructing or replacing all the waste drainage in the house, I have the septic tank pumped occasionally. I am mindful of the green grass on the lawn at this time of year noting that the septic system is working properly.

I pick up horse shit from the stalls and pastures and I compost it. Then I move the composted manure in the gardens and green house. I even use it for fill since it is so abundant.

Then the chickens are a constant source for even more shit that needs to be composted. It is way too hot to use directly on a garden without composting.

Just when I thought I had all the shit accounted for, I realized that there is also the cat box. Our cats are usually out side all day, but we bring them in at night. We provide them a litter box that they rarely use, but they do use it.

Then there are the dogs that roam the property from the neighborhood. They leave deposits that need to be dealt with before mowing the lawn.

All the shit I deal with around here seems to be overwhelming at times, but then I consider that there are people that make a good living from dealing with shit. I guess I missed my calling.

12 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

And that's not even the shit you deal with at WORK!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I hear ya, Guy. Save for the litter box, we have the same shit.

6:58 AM  
Blogger weese said...

shit happens.
it's good to know how to deal with it.

9:22 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I took my morning cup of coffee for a walk up on the hill above the upper pasture... You guessed it, bear shit.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn Weese, you beat me to it!

I mow shit. I do rake the mole hills though.

Good luck with your poop guy. You didn't mention my favorite time of the morning - my morning shit.

6:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, thanks for that intimate portrait.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have big dogs, who somehow poop twice the volume of food they eat.

chickens, ducks, a cat and lizards.

A husband.

two septic tanks

That's a lot of home shit.

But then I am also a sales person for a major corporation so my job is technically selling shit or making spreadsheets to show what shit I've sold or not sold so I am in shit 24/7.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy: You didn't ask for pictures so I didn't bother.... ;-)

12:42 PM  
Blogger pril said...

as a bass player who appreciates a good poop joke, i have to share this - What's the difference between a toilet and a bass player?

The toilet only has to take shit from one person at a time.

10:20 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Pril, just be happy you aren't a drummer.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, this was fun to read. Glad I'm not alone with the mountain of shit!

8:07 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

There are many I know that are less fortunate than we. They have to dispose of it commercially.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home