Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Imagine


We humans are so fortunate that we can imagine. It is probably the only thing that keeps us sane or perhaps the only thing that can push us into insanity.

Imagination can deliver someone from a prison cell to freedom. It can help the infirmed well again. It makes the old young again.

Humans aren’t the only ones that can imagine. Ever watch a cat chase something that isn’t there? Horses imagine the worst things at the worst times. It seems they imagine that there are tigers everywhere waiting to pounces on them.

Humans can day dream entire new lives for themselves. They can actually convince themselves they are someone else. When we see a film we imagine that what we are seeing is real. There are people that believe that there are really Klingons out there and they’ve even learned to speak the language in the event they meet one.

Roll playing games have the ability to take over ones life. Spend enough time on the Internet and you will see them.

My question about the use of ones imagination is what happens to someone who is actually living their dream. What do they imagine if they already have the life they desired?

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I think if someone is actually living their dream, that then becomes their reality and a new dream takes its place. The nature of the (human) beast.
And, yes, my imagination keeps me sane. (Has yet to push me to the realm of insanity.)

5:01 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

I imagine if your dream is doing something that involves using imagination and creativity you have a self-fulfilling life.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want zero in on what you wrote about imagination's youth restoring properties. A few days ago I saw Motown singer/songwriter/legend Smokey Robinson perform in an idyllic outdoor festival setting. Smokey started with Motown in 1958 wrote a ton of hits for the Temptations like My Girl, Get Ready ect. Not to mention all the hits he had with the Miracles and solo career. Always liked but never seen him live. We were not expecting the show we got. Sure he came out looking good, fit and trim but you could tell he was barely singing on Going To A Go Go and the next couple numbers too BUT THEN on Ooh Baby Baby his voice opened up like a bottle of fine wine and was stellar for the remainder of the show. This 68 year old man was able to hit and milk every high note, tell us a few great stories and transport himself and a largely superannuated crowd of several thousand. Had everyone singing along and dancing like teenagers including the teenagers. Thats mind over matter baby and a master at work. See him if you get the chance.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

I met a guy once who, at the ripe age of 25, thought he had acheived everything he ever wanted - house, car, marriage to highschool sweetheart, two kids, the works - and was weeping drunkenly because he thought he had no dream left to attain. Within the year I heard that his employer (a government agency) had posted him overseas for an indefinite period, meaning he had to sell the house and car and uproot the entire family. I don't know if there is a connection, but I can't help but think that was one time the bureaucrats got it right...

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how they could make their dream better, is my answer.
my hubby always says he's living his dream, he works outdoors, he helps people, but i know he gets fed up with the "paper pushing" part and petty complaints from others. He's also looking forward to the time when the kids are grown and on their own.
loopymama in michigan

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hit the nail right on the head.

Life. Life is what life is.

As a person who looks at life as a cup that at worst is half full, I guess I'm living the dream.

Even in bad times, I have much to be thankful for.

I have a beautiful family, love my job, and tomorrow is uncertain.

I think Stevie Ray Vauhan called it "Life by the drop"

10:34 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Well said g.

Loopy don't let him wish his life away.

Frank, it's funny and sad how quickly things can change.

Anon, Smokey is still alive? But too young to be in the death pool for next year.

Rich, that concept can make you dizy, but good point.

Beth, have I said Welcome Back! Oh princess of rain.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home