Monday, November 17, 2008

Drinks Like a Horse


I know we all have some amazing pet stories. Every pet does something special. Of all the animals I’ve had one of my most memorable was a horse I once owned that loved to drink beer. She would pick up a bottle in her lips and tilt her head back and drink the entire contents in seconds.

Horses have a keen sense of smell. If you are hiding an apple or a carrot in your pocket they will know about it long before you get close to them. Also they are quicker than a Gypsy pickpocket in Paris to rob you of the said carrot or apple.
I always warned people never to approach her with an open beer. I remember we were around the camp fire out behind the house one evening. I just fed the horses which usually keeps them occupied for a while. When I sat down and opened a bottle of beer she ran out of her stall and looked at us over the fence until I let her finish off the bottle I was drinking.

I once let a neighbor ride her with a group once. They took some beers with them for their lunch break. My horse had to finish everyone’s beer. My neighbor brought her back saying, “Sorry we got your horse drunk, Guy.”

Fortunately that horse now belongs to a twelve year old girl that doesn’t get her drunk, but I’m sure it would only take the crack of a bottle cap coming off to make that horse fall from the wagon.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Have you ever seen the "Patches the Horse" video?

http://gprime.net/video.php/patchesthehorse

4:10 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

my dog liked grapes. and she would do a little dance every time she saw us eating them... and dance and dance until finally we'd relent and give her one.

then she'd run to the centre of the living room, place it gingerly on the carpet and nudge it around with her nose for a bit. after it was fully covered in fluff and dust, she'd take it in her mouth and toss it into the air over and over. she'd roll on her back, and around the floor, tossing and retrieving this thing.

finally, when the juice had run out of it, and the skin had burst, she'd eat it, chewing slowly and savouring it like it was the best thing on earth.

perhaps to her, it was!

10:12 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

We had a dog that we got in Alaska named Cara. Every afternoon Cara and i would walk out to the mailbox to check the mail. There was always at least one piece of junk mail which was called the "Dog Mail". I'd say dog mail! and Cara would leap and dance around and bark til I gave it to her. She'd carry it proudly back home and show off her dog mail to everyone she saw and once everybody had seen it I'd say "OK, go read your mail" and she'd carry it into the living room and happily tear it into shreds. Funny dog.

4:03 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, yes I've seen patches. Too funny, though I don't know if I'd ever want a horse that is that "in the pocket."

Dalia and Darev, great dog stories. It's a wonder I still don't like dogs.

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i went from drinking like a fish, to drinking like a horse, to just smoking.

i'm nearly vice-less.

7:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g that quite an admission these days. Did you know that tobacco was Frank Zappa's favorite vegetable.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know much.
i didn't know that.
thank you...i think.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home