Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Present Future


I find it interesting how intuitive people can be. I know that intuition often gets handed over to the Woo Woo zone where inhabitants go to psychic fares, read tea leafs, tarot cards, horary charts and have faith in reflexology.

Sometimes one can simply observe things and impress people with patterns you notice, like you can predict that there will be a plane crash and the plane will have the color red on its tail. It sounds impressive until you realize that 90% of commercial air-liners have some of the color red in tail.

There are certain patterns that one sees without realizing them, ore seeing one thing that will lead one to a conclusion. The other evening I returned home to see my caller ID light blinking without the answering machine blinking meaning someone called but did not leave a message. The ID showed that a call came from a neighbor and I immediately knew that one of my chickens had been killed by his dog.

Since the garden is finished, I’ve been letting the chickens out to free range. They return to their coop when it gets dark and I lock them in for the night. Sure enough, when I went out to check on them there were only nine hens. The next morning I found where the kill had taken place. It looks like I’ll need to power up the electric fence again. There are a couple neighboring dogs that need electric reminders of where they do not belong.

But back to predicting what will be, I realize that I am rarely ever surprised by a phone call. It seems that I know in advance not only who is calling, but why they are calling. I’d be willing to bet that this is the case with most people as well. Most of what we encounter every day is predictable whether we realize it or not.

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I usually can guess who's calling also, but that could be because we don't use the house phone much. So I always know it's probably one of a half-dozen people, and the time of the call tells me who it probably is.

4:57 AM  
Blogger WSSS admin said...

Hi there. I'm also one of those people who just knows who's on the other end of the line before checking caller ID. I also wake up in the morning after dreaming about someone I haven't seen for a while; next thing I know, they're on the phone.

I know, I know...woo woo spooky. But I think you're right. There is an order to things in our lives, just as everything we need to have and to know is right there in front of us at any given time. We just haven't evolved enough to see the patterns as normal, so when something woo woo spooky happens, it seems unusual.

Hey, I enjoy your blog. Great photos, too!

Tamara
Rhymes With Camera

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think of intuition more along the lines of common sense...but not everyone has it. A gal I know...her husband kicked her and their son out of the house. He told her that she was too fat and that he wanted a divorce. I told her that he was probably having an affair. She swore, "he said he wasn't!"...low and behold...he was. Was I intuitive or did I just pin him as that type of jerk?

Sorry to hear about your chicken. I lost one myself not too long ago. A friend brought his hunting dog over (an over priced one at that) and it proceeded to kill and eat one of my chickens (they are free range)...she had an egg still in her...anyway, when I saw the chicken, I was kinda pissed ...I told him he was going to have to replace it w/ a chicken...not a chick (they take too long to raise and it takes too much money before they start to lay). He was pissed! Turns out he put a lot of money into training, to keep the dog from eating the bird AFTER she kills it. We both laughed. He called me about a week later and was horrified at how much a laying chicken costs ($20!). I laughed at him...reminding him of when he thought I should have chickens, so he snuck 10 chicks (in a big bucket) into my car...by the time I went to leave, my car stunk like chicken poop. Paybacks are a bitch! He ended up checking around and found ten 1 year old chickens for $20...not a bad find! He figures he can bring his dog out 9 more times...and now he wants me to have pigs...Guess I'll be getting pigs for Xmas :)

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello? Hello? Hello? can you hear me? hello? who the hell is this? huh? nope, wrong number. [click]

7:32 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I'll have to call you some day just to throw you off.

Tamara, Welcome to Rust, thanks. It seems that everything is more closely related than it appears to be on the surface.

Ginger, I agree, A guy never leaves unless there is someone else on the side. $20 a hen, I just sold ten of them for $10 each. I should have done the math, but I'll have a lot of food savings this winter and the hens I have left are still laying like crazy. Hey where do you have to go to get your grain for your animals? Is there a store in the Jewell area?

g, I get more wrong number calls on my cell than I get on the home phone. I wonder what's up with that...

4:55 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I'm one of those rare folk with absolutely no ESP at all, apparently. I can see ghosts (the prison is very old and teeming with them) but no prescient power whatsoever. Occasionally, I'll get this hackles standing up oh snap feeling and think "Uh-oh! Something is gonna happen!" And I'll be on alert for hours and absolutely nothing happens. I think it's just another one of those times when my brain is playing games with me for it's own amusement.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, right next to the gas station and Starbucks :)I am not a big grain person. Our hay is the best around...you should know that! I do feed my chickens hen scratch...that, and old bread from the fire station (my husband brings it home from work in a big paper sack). I get feed from Clatskanie, Longview, Hillsboro, or Astoria...either way, it's a LONG way (20-65 miles). I like to load up when I go, or my husband picks it up when he gets off work. I have run out before..it's a pain when it's something like milk (and don't suggest I get a milk cow!), I rummage through the fridge for fruit/veggies that are on the verge of going bad..that holds them over until I can get to town. It's also a pain when I forget my list at home!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Lachlan said...

You totally need to read "Blink". It talks about the neuroscience behind intuition. Fascinating stuff.

Some of us just have a natural ease with our brains to access intuition. Some do not.

8:48 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, or it could be crying out for medication ;)

Ginger, very interesting, I'll reply to this in a future article.

Lach, it's now on the list. Thanks

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home