Friday, December 12, 2008

Love of a Marble Arm


One memory from my childhood was that my parents didn’t make a lot of purchases for the home, but when they did buy something it was something of quality.

I was recently driving home over Highway 26 just after sun set. As I was coming down the back side of the pass by Saddle Mountain the sky was a pearlescent pallet of vivid reds, blues, yellows, pinks and purples. I was reminded of a Chase lounge chair that we had in our back yard. It was a heavy thing of quality with a thick cushion. The chair also had flat arms made from polished pieces of marble with the same colors in them as I saw in the sky as I drove home. The stone in the arms was fascinating to look at.

I remembered sitting on that Chase lounge one summer evening and noticing the sky that evening looked exactly like the arms of the chair. There is a certain sky that triggers my memory for that chair. It is rare, but every once in a while it is a perfect replica.

Oddly, that chair was stolen from our back yard one evening and never seen again. It must have been two people that took it. The chair was far too substantial for one person to handle. My parents were angry when they realized the chair had disappeared. It must have been rather expensive. I was young at the time and had no idea of the value of money, so I was angry that someone that stolen a perfect replica of a perfect sky from us.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

That thing was probably so well made that it's still gracing someones backyard even to this day. And there's probably a generation ot two of kids who are thinking "I remember this old chaise lounge my parents had with these cool marble armrests..."

1:02 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I just wanted to say... that before I stopped and actually read the article, that title just made all kinds of weird things run through my head....

6:58 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Hey, Rev, when you stop to thing...don't forget to start up again.

Guy, I loved the title for this article.

7:13 PM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

The title made me think of 3rd or 4th grade when the boys let me play marbles, and I lost most of them in the game...i never played with my favorites again, and some girls stopped talking to me because "I played marbles" maybe I've always been "loopy"?

8:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I have more fun writing the titles for the articles here than writing the actual stories.

Marbles is a game that I believe is totally lost with the generation after ours.

5:46 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

My kids know nothing about shooting marbles, playing cats cradle, chinese jump rope, tiddlywinks or even mumblypeg. Ok, I'm grateful for the last one. SInce we adopted teenagers, we got a late start on teaching them things. I get some of the craziest looks, sometimes.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually think it's never too late. I never played or collected marbles in my youth. It was passing out of fashion by the time I came along and television was becoming the big past time for children. However, one summer while shopping for gifts for my son i saw these marbles I liked, and picked them up for myself. A few marble sets later (and some really nice ones too) I thought I'd like to be able to do SOMETHING with them. So I picked up a rule sheet on playing marbles. My sons (who are now a teenager and a pre-teen) learned to play with me. For this Christmas I'm asking for a nicer marble mat.

Teenagers and adults are like old dogs. We may take LONGER to learn a new trick, but we learn it BETTER and then have more FUN with it.

One of my best memories ever is of my mother sitting on the kitchen floor scooping up jacks as she taught she taught me how to play. I was 14 at the time.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home