Thursday, December 11, 2008

R.E.S.P.E.C.T!


Many horse owners spend lots of time and money following advice of the many super-star horse trainers. There are many clinicians like Clinton Anderson, John Lyons, Julie Goodknight and the Parrelli’s. While guising as horse instruction, the instructions are meant more for the potential trainer. It is easier to train horses than it is to train people.

One of the biggest problems people have with their horses is respect. If you can teach a horse to respect you the learning will come easy and quickly for the horse. Respect isn’t granted, it is earned. This is one of the points that have been driven into me, not just in the horse training arena, but in the world outside of horses. The horse world has taught me a real life lesson.

I am not a wealthy man. I can’t employ and pay people; though in the grand scheme we all employ one another. In the grand scheme what is earned and what is paid is respect. Starting when we first meet someone, we grant a degree of respect to a stranger. The relationship is then evaluated from time to time to see if more respect is due.

I was recently present when a local executive seemingly lost his mind in an encounter with others. Any respect I had ever banked for this person flew out the window, and I’m starting to think it is “case closed” at this point. The basis for respect is trust and I for one will not be the frog that ever takes that scorpion across the river.

8 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Walt said...

I don't know if we automatically grant respect to people when we first meet them. At least, I know I don't.

Since BOTH respect and disrespect have to be earned ... I'm just neutral in that regard, to people I newly meet.

I think many people confuse respect with politeness. But you can be polite to even people you disrespect.

7:37 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I'm kind of like the old computers ie: "garbage in- garbage out". You get what you give when it comes to dealing with me. I try to be polite to everybody, until it no longer works, then the mitts are off.

3:15 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

"It is easier to train horses than it is to train people."

That has got to be the truest thing I've ever heard in my life.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Respect is far easier to give - it's beyond politeness. I assume as a human being they deserve at least a modicum--as I would from them. But, it's usually when they open their mouths about something they don't understand it's shot.

10:11 PM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

I'm with uncle walt on this one... "think many people confuse respect with politeness. But you can be polite to even people you disrespect."

There have been times in my life when losing respect for some one actually hurts. almost like a blow to my ego....I looked up to and respected this person?
loopy

1:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It seems to me that we do respect up front. We respect the privacy of others, we respect the law, we respect the environment and we respect cultures. It is when we don't have respect up front we violate others personal space, we end up in legal trouble, we ruin something and we send in missionaries to really screw things up.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

... and we send in missionaries to really screw things up.

Kinda like "I'm from the government, and here to help you"?

Missionaries and Diplomats ... the religious and secular sides of the same coin.

7:08 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Missionaries and diplomats. (Further comment deleted at the last moment.)

Snap! I almost stepped in that!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home