Thursday, February 12, 2009

Eating Up


I had dinner last night at the Portland City Grill which is on the 30th floor of a building that overlooks Burnside and the Willamette River. I looked out the window to the beautiful panoramic view where birds flew a hundred feet below us. I noticed that though Portland is a rather green town I could see no solar panels. The roofs were pretty ugly, but most times roofs are just a utilitarian surface that holds heating and ventilation systems.

Living in the country as I do, an excellent light show for me is seeing the night sky full of stars and if there is a shooting star or a comet, that is a bonus. However seeing the daylight fade and the lights of the city coming on from that altitude was a special treat. It almost made me want to spend some time in the city.

One thing you can count on is that when you are dining in a high-rise building you can add a dollar for every floor in elevation to the price of the entre’. The service was incredible. The food and wine was great and it restored my faith in the culinary arts. So if you are in Portland and want to plan a special dinner with a lot of “wow factor” this is the spot. The views are also available from the bar if you just want to pop up for a drink.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

what did you have for dinner?

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a fabulous view with great food! If I ever get myself out west Portland is one of the places on my list.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I became jaded as to dining in fine establishments. It's more of a treat when it only happens once in awhile. Glad you experienced such a treat!

7:06 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jeff, Thai Curry Tiger Prawns and my wife had pork rib that tasted like the most tender steak I've ever had. Very complex flavors. At first taste of the prawns I could taste some lime and then came on the taste of the coconut and then the curry kicked in. The tastes cane in waves. Remarkable! By the way, the steaks were priced from $65-$82.

Trish, it is a great town. If you ever come out I promise to meet up with you.

Beth, I can relate to that. I had a lot of money to burn when I was in my 20s and I never looked back when I gave up that life style. Now going out for Chinese food is a big event to me. Places like this are very special.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

oooh, nice. I'm glad you were able to treat yourself.

*almost* made you want to spend time in the city. I hear ya.

7:37 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I guess the good/bad of living out in the middle of a cultural wasteland is that I can feed my entire family for the price of one good Portland steak. And get a stunning view of the highway and the Jiffy Lube across the way in the bargain. Life just doesn't get much better than that.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all steaks in Portland cost that much. PCG is a great fancy place. If you REALLY want to get ripped off try Ruth's Chris or El Goucho.

Best steak and steak experience in Portland is Ringside. Not as good a view, but a bit cheaper and much better.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy,

Knowing your love of dining out and having to watch others eat, sounds like this experience was a very positive one. Perhaps when people are paying outrageous prices for a meal their table manners are more acceptable?

:)

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being from a town of 367 souls, I was absolutely transported by the PCG a few weeks ago. Ambience, view, good wine and so dark it was impossible to see others eat. Hard to get that in a Chinese restaurant.

10:48 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Syd, Darlin, I wish you could have joined us.

Anon, I'll keep that in mind when I get rich from blogging. I'll treat all the readers!

Other anon, it was dark in there and everyone looks out the window so watching people stuff their pie holes isn't even in play.

Grannyannie, I was there last Thursday. Is that when you were there? If so I dig it when the readers stalk me ; )

11:37 AM  
Blogger g said...

I ate there once. Had a very memorable blackened snapper (one of the best blackened meals ever).

I got a gift certificate for christmas this year for the PCG. I'm anxious to make my way there real soon.

I hope pdx gets in gear and has some solar arrays in place by that time.

7:27 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, you have a good gift giver in your life. When you are there, look at the ceiling. What a waste of wood to have beams like that being used as decor.

5:40 AM  
Blogger g said...

i'll make sure to report in when the time comes.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home