Monday, February 02, 2009

Sick Day XXVIII


Sorry for the lack of a usual sick day photo. Yesterday I wrote about how minimal buttons and knobs were getting on electronic equipment. I am of the age where more is better. I’d like my equipment to look like a Moog Synthesizer. I’m a control freak as far as electronics go. I’d like to mess with more than one function at a time.

I could go on and on about it, but let me digress to something else that makes me sick, this is a sick day post after all. OK I’m sick of red and blue lights. I have a wireless router that has these blue lights that constantly flash on top of it. I walked down stairs in the dark one night and I thought it was a reflection of a police car outside, but no it was my router looking like the mother ship taking off.

I got some peripherals for my wife’s laptop and as soon as you plug any of them in, they flash either red or blue. Again, what is it with red and blue? What happened to the soothing green lights of yester-year? Is soothing out? It isn’t enough for a light to show you things are operational, they have to flash and make you feel like the police are coming or that there is imminent danger in your face. Even my lap top has blue flashing lights.

I mean, for Christ sake, I'm in the safety of my living room. I'm not in East LA. I do not need to see flashing red and blue lights when I'm watching Jeopardy.

One tid-bit of computer history is that the first PCs weren’t supposed to have any lights, but they put one in when the hard drive was spinning so people would know the computer was on and working.

So far the industry’s obsession with blue lights makes me want to get more black electrical tape. The laptops, peripherals, the router and the new radio in the truck are all getting taped.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Don’t apologise for the lack of a sick day photo – I’m quite okay without one.
I try to think of the red, green and blue lights on the router, USB hub, CO2, fire and burglary monitors as adult night lights. Some day I might appreciate the assistance!

6:23 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

They are a bit startling. And I did appreciate the friendly green lights more. They were more computery, in my mind. I'd like to build a custom box for my desktop and add lots of knobs and a few buttons and maybe even a dial or two. Make the whole thing look like something H.G. Wells put together in his lab. Or maybe Tom Swift, Sr.

7:41 AM  
Blogger g said...

glad i checked in today. i just realized i am fortunate to have green flashing lights on my modem.

unless i'm disconnected. then they're red.

6:47 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, fear not the regularly scheduled sick day vomit photos will return in future posts. Beware of the first Monday of the month.

Darev, you know I feel like Grandpa Simpson when I complain about stuff like this, but this crap does annoy me.

g, so if you are seeing red, you start seeing red?

5:19 AM  
Blogger g said...

you know it! pretty much nothing pisses me off more than a flashing red modem.

i'm not sure i see red though. more like when you close your eyes real hard and you see, well, close your eyes real hard and you'll see what i mean. it's hard to describe.

8:12 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It's actually blood.

5:29 AM  
Blogger g said...

i didn't know that.

i should quit closing my eyes real hard.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh great! I now have this incredible urge to go around the property and put tape on all the things that light up in the dark, all those green, red, and bright blue lights....:)
loopy

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home