Sunday, February 01, 2009

Radio Daze


After suffering a blown speaker for months and suffering a radio/CD player that wouldn’t switch bands or stations I finally got a new radio and speakers for the truck.

The radio that was in the truck that came from the factory was by far the best system I ever had. It had lots of features and buttons and knobs. It filled the truck with a volume of sound; not just loudness, but volume. There is a difference.

So I got this new radio. It has minimal knobs and buttons. I like knobs and buttons (don’t turn this into something nasty, Auntie, Lori, g and you other miscreants). I didn’t need a system with all the flashing red and blue lights. I wanted a clock. It is one of these systems that if you want to set something you need to put on your reading glasses and lay across your seat. You need to hit one button several times and then hold it then hit another button a couple times just to change the bass range. I’ve tried to follow the directions to set the clock, but the menu items don’t match the manual. I have no idea of how to even get the clock to display. Worse yet, you can’t turn the damn thing off when the motor is running. The best you can do is turn the volume down to zero of enter standby mode. In the mean time the blue and red lights are still there as bright as day. I have no clock other than the one on my cell phone. I am not impressed with this new Kenwood technology.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I shouldn't laugh at these technological challenges you're dealing with - but I did!

4:39 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I know exactly how you feel. I had a great "old" Kenwood system in my truck when I bought it. Then some punks broke into my truck and stole it, along with all of my cd's and a bunch of tools. The insurance company only covered the stereo system and for the money they gave me the only system I could find and afford had this little tiny clock that I can barely see. Fortunately, I wear a watch with numbers you can read from half a mile away. I don't change any of the settings because I don't know how. And the clock is only correct during daylight savings time. Those punks better hope I never find out who they are or they will wake up every morning for the rest of their lives feeling worse than I do.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Guy - it's not one of them radios with the animated display is it? First time I saw those, I thought that's just what we need to distract teen drivers even more.

Was the radio you replaced OEM?

8:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, knowing you are a MAC user, I bet you can relate.

Darev, this one has an anti theft thing where if you hit the wrong button the face plate pops off. What a pain that is.

Walt OEM? What's that? It's not heavy on the animation, but if you slightly bump the volume knob, all sorts of features start displaying...everything except a clock.

9:46 AM  
Blogger g said...

i thought you might be the kind of guy that sets up a turntable to listen to with your collection of 78's.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My new GM truck has a BOSE system in it. Man, that is some sweeeeeeeet. I don't know how I ever got along without it - that along with the ass warmer seat. Now I don't even care what time it is....

Moose

11:31 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g I have from time to time. I should do it more often and transfer them to CD.

Moose, you're a lucky man, but don't the seat warmers make you want to pee?

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home