Saturday, January 31, 2009

Wait a Minim


I was recently among a collection of clocks and I mean a lot of clocks. There were pendulums swinging, bells chiming and lots of ticking. Some hands were moving slowly and quickly others barely or not moving at all. There was a lot of movement in general.

Most remarkable was the sound. As all clocks were ticking at once it sounded like a waterfall; not a thunderous one, but a waterfall of individual drops. I stood in the center of the room and was bathed in a waterfall of minims of time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

The man who fixed my old music box had an outstanding collection of clocks in his shop.

When I was a kid staying at Grandma's, her house was so quiet (in the country, no TV) that the main sound you heard through the house was her alarm clock ticking.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Had to look up the word "mimims." Always learning something new here.

5:41 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Excellent. I don't think I could sleep with all that ticking going on, but I've always had a special place in my heart for clockwork things. I love the whole "Steampunk" thing with their fetish for victorian steam/clockwork type devices. My problem with that many clocks is I would want to take them apart and make something else out of them.

9:37 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, it was a comforting sound, grandmother's clock.

Beth, a perfect word being that it can be used in music, sound and liquid. I love words. Wait a Minim was also a Broadway play that lasted only a minim.

Darev You could give clocks away at work. That could really annoy the population.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home