Wednesday, February 11, 2009

EEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!


OK, I admit it. I have a freakish Jerry Springer-ish attraction to Tom Freel’s “I hate my neighbor” phone in radio show on KAST. Tom is a good guy and attempts to add balance and reasonability, but that’s not what I’m here to discuss today. The cranky naysayers deserve a post here some day but not today.

My thoughts are on the commercials that run every 30 seconds for whatever up-coming concert their stations are sponsoring at the Liberty Theater. Usually they are promoting male Country singers with poor grammar, but this month they are promoting a concert by Julianne Hough. The ads make me wonder if it is required that female Country singers all sound like they are auditioning for a job with Alvin and the Chipmunks. Singers like Julianne, Dolly Parton and Amanda Lambert all have these high wiggly voices that are reminiscent of a violin solo that goes on way too long.

KAST, please, just once have an instrumental concert or at least run the ad once every half hour instead of every 30 seconds.

11 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

There's an "I Hate My Neighbor" show?

I SO need that show!

4:06 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I cringe at every phone in radio show I hear - and quickly change stations. I don't want to be reminded of the ignorance of my fellow man/woman. And I would never phone in and reveal my own.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Oh yeah, if you listen to the "hate yer neighbor" show you can also be treated to some of the BEST radio jingles ever. Locals will know that I am of course talking about the Gannaway Brothers ad ("maybe it's you....) that is in desparate need of updating, the ultra sappy "Holly McHone" song as well as the uber-hip "Ride the Bus" for our local bus system. All get infused into your head like that turning disease that Gnu's get and before you know it your are spinning in circles, Marlin Perkins is whizzing above you with Jim in the helicopter and when you finally make it to the waterin' hole, you get sucked up by a 30 foot crocodile. Oh. I've said to much. sorry.

5:48 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I've never really been a fan of talk radio. And now I'm even happier about that. I can't stand listening to most people yammer. Believe it or not, I have a low tolerance for stupidity and won't put up with it for very long.

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your take on Howard Stern and the lowest common denominator...

Moose

4:01 PM  
Blogger g said...

nothing can shake "i kissed a girl and i like it" from my head.

7:14 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, yes it's a half hour local call in where locals bitch about everything and each other.

Beth, if you lived here you would be addicted to it. Listening that is.

Auntie, what is up with Vince Williams, is he taking downers all of a sudden?

Darev, low tolerance for stupidity and you work where?

Moosehead, there was a time that Stern put adventure back into radio, but his success drove him in a direction where he kept doing the same sort of crap over and over and became so predictable. Now Sirus is going bankrupt and I wonder if that will drive him back to regular radio. I don't think he would ever be able to regain the audience he once had. Just to show my age, I remember when Imus was funny. That ended in 1975.

g, What? Where did that come from?

5:09 AM  
Blogger g said...

those 30 second commercials are kinda catchy after the fiftieth time.

7:28 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, that's when the hypnosis kicks in.

7:34 PM  
Blogger g said...

i can still remember when trace adkins came to town. i know a whole 15 seconds of one of his song.

by heart.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Antwerp! See Lathe of Heaven.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home