Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Beef


Those of you that have been reading here for a while you are probably aware that I live in the country, but there have been at least 50 new home built within a mile of my house over the last 20 years. Yes, there is more traffic and more noise, but now I’ve discovered something even more sinister about having neighbors.

It’s February. The days are getting longer and I find myself outside later every day; sometimes past dinner time. Lately I’ve been finishing tending to the animals and the smell of steak on an outside grill come wafting to my nose. Here I was looking forward to going in and cooking something and suddenly anything I intended to cook seems anemic in comparison to the smells that are coming my way from one of the neighbors.

The smell of grilled beef is probably a stronger attention getter for me than the smell of bacon. Sorry Kicki and Auntie, but it’s true. There is a reason. The smell of bacon is usually a morning smell and a reminder that after eating bacon you need to face the toils of the day. Grilled beef on the other hand is an evening smell that comes around after all the work of the day is done. You can eat your fill and relax and digest until it’s time for bed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Pavlovian post. Nice. I am slobbering right now.

7:14 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I am giggling and imagining Auntie drooling on her keyboard at both "bacon" and "beef". Outdoor grilling tends to be viral. First one soul braves the weather and then another and another.... then it becomes an epidemic!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't have that problem in the Idaho panhandle as most BBQ's are under a couple feet of well packed snow.

4:26 PM  
Blogger outdoorgriller said...

That sounds good I love grilled beef and bacon and I love grilling after a long day.If you want more recipes or if you want to take a look at the collection of tips I have for grilling you can visit www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com

7:24 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i "discovered" steak about four years ago; being the child of west indian parents, every piece of beef i was introduced had been cooked beyond recognition. always overcooked, always tough, i could never understand how people went gaga over something that had the consistency of those old-school pink erasers with the taste to match.

then i dated a guy whose brother was filthy stinking rich and we would go to his house all the time for these lavish 6-course weekend dinners.

and it was there i was introduced to the beauty (!) of a medium-rare steak. just a little sea salt, a little cracked black pepper, and a light rub of olive oil.

nothing.
like it.
on earth.

of course, being that i hadn't eaten beef in over 20 years my body rejected most of what i ate (at first). but these days, the occasional steak is a real treat.

long live the steak.

8:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, you've had too much to drink.

Darev, and she lives on top of a hill where all the smells from town drift up.

HiDeHo Idaho! All I can say is that it smells like Texas over here.

Outdoorgriller, Do you corporate posters have no shame?

Dalia, Careful Darlin, now that you have a Mac you may have to restrict yourself to tofu. ; )

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home