Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What People Eat




I was recently in a grocery store toying with the idea of playing “Shopping for Others.” This is when you pull a product off the shelf like hemorrhoid cream and drop it into an unattended shopping cart so people get surprised when they check out or even better get home and unpack their groceries.

Anyway, I soon became distracted and obsessed by all the extremely out of shape people that will filling their carts with things they shouldn’t be eating. It was rather revolting. I recalled a piece I saw in the Adbusters magazine a while back.

The two photos above are of the weekly groceries of two different families from different cultures. There are more comparisons at this web site that are worth a look. Please visit this site and scroll down. What people eat around the world.

It will make you take a good look at what you consume. We are truly a doomed culture by way of our diets.

11 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

That was interesting, looking at the way people eat around the world. I'm amazed at the differences.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Fascinating. What's with all the Coke consumption??
After seeing some of these pictures, I gave myself a pat on the back for my own grocery purchases - and $$ spent.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I bought that book a couple years ago. It's absolutely fascinating.

6:43 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I knew we were doomed years ago. I was in a grocery store and watched this absolutely huge woman (350-400 lbs) pulling two carts heaped full of sodas and chips and snack cakes up to the register and pay for it all with food stamps. A few moments later an equally huge man, also with two carts full of junk food, did the same thing and paid the same way. Then they both wedged themselves and their groceries in a minivan and drove away together. I looked own at the fifty dollars worth of groceries that I could afford at the time and was nearly sick.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT was interesting...The people from Ecuador...that guy had a big smile on his face! Must be all those kids :) It was also interesting to see other cultures living w/ multi-generation households. The Germans seem to have alot of food for a family of four. I wonder how much of it goes to waste? They also seem to have the most, if not the only, amount of alcohol...that adds up.

11:30 AM  
Blogger g said...

right now it's girl scout cookies.

tis the season.

5:19 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I was looking at it from a packaging aspect as well. Think of all those plastic packages going to land fills.

5:22 AM  
Blogger g said...

so it's safe to assume girl scouts are causing global warming.

the horror.

7:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It depends on how gassy you get from eating them. I had a friend that insisted that girl scout cookies were a lesbian plot to take over the world through cookies.

4:52 AM  
Blogger g said...

more horror.

*note to self - daughter not allowed to read guy's writings.

6:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, that's probably a good idea.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home