Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bubbles, The Modern Vernacular of Destruction


It seems that after Watergate all scandals picked up the suffix of the word “Gate” in an attempt to suggest or high-light corruption and cover-up. It is an uncreative means of sensationalizing while soft selling a concept. Each scandal should have enough merits that it should be able to be called by its own name.

Another lazy thing I’ve noticed has been the use of the word bubble. First there was the burst of the Dot-Com bubble and more recently it was the Real Estate Bubble and Mortgage Bubble that burst. I’ve also heard the term Economic Bubble.

While living in a bubble means one is protected and insulated from influence, bubbles are closed spheres. I can somewhat understand the bubble analogy since something is artificially inflated and is destroyed by greed. The term “bubble burst” seems to over romanticize what historically happens when times that are good turn bad.

I’m surprised that more descriptive phrases haven’t come about in recent years. The bubble is too much like a replaceable toy. It could have been so much more colorful:
The Dot-Com 404
The Mortgage Massacre
The Economic Elysian Field
The Market Death March

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

So, this is it? This is your second to last article?

Of course I don't believe you will ever run out of stuff to write about. And you have been telling me you have been down to "your last two" blog posts for what, the last 2 years or so?

6:04 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Auntie stop, you're scaring me. If Guy quits you'll have to take his place. You ready for that?

How about:
The Mortgage Masada
The Market Hindenbug
The Economic St. Helens
The Dot-Com Chernobyl?

6:59 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

I prefer the Dot-Com-odore.

Commodore computers were the first "real" home computers ... became extinct ... and are now struggling to make a come back.

7:35 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i love the .com 404! clever!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Those are pretty funny, Guy. You should copyright them immediately. I am going to try to use all of them in the upcoming weeks to see if I can help you have them catch on.

4:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, I swear I have to run out sometime.

Darev, Auntie is not ready, I'll have to plod on at least until Saturday.

Walt, I had one and I too screwed up the code.

Dalia says it all, doesn't it?

Lori, no copyright. I'm an open source kind of a guy.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home