Tuesday, April 07, 2009

My Mexican Pet


If you live on the West Coast, more than likely someone you know will have traveled to Mexico during the last year. When they come back they will usually come back with some sort of trinket for you. Just about everywhere I go I notice that people have the little colorful carved wood trinkets like in the photo above. I have been given my share over my years here.

By the way, I said West Coast because I found that most people on the East Coast go South in the winter, not Southwest. They have their own trinkets back there.

A few years ago someone brought me a new brightly painted wooden figurine from Mexico. I placed it in a place of honor, but after a couple of days I noticed that there was a tiny pile of saw dust around the base. Every morning there was a fresh pile of sawdust which I would sweep away. I told others about it and I got all sorts of suggestions. One person said to put it in the microwave, but I didn’t want to kill whatever was in there. I was fascinated by it and I wanted to see how it would go on.

Over the following months the creature bored several other holes in which it dumped a steady stream of sawdust, but one day it ended. It took about six months for the little creature to complete its life span. I was hoping it left behind some hatchlings, but after a year had passed I knew nothing was ever going to enjoy the tunnels again.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Well, hopefully whatever was boring holes in your geegaw isn't now boring holes in your books or floorboards. A few years from now there will be this massive infestation of voracious mexican termites that will level Astoria to the ground. And they'll trace the infestation back and find a disgruntled blogger sitting amid a pile of sawdust.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you brought back a stowaway.

But yes . . . the painted Mexican trinkets! And I'm also a sucker for silver jewelry too.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Tunnels. I knew there was more to it than sawdust. You were living vicariously through the Mexican termite that is going to decimate your town.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Hi Guy, Hello all. I've been lurking and reading here for about a week now and have to tell you how much I have been enjoying it.

This post sounds like the beginning of a new thriller/horror story. One could really run with this.

12:33 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, It never moved to anything else, and if it had I'll mark it up to natural recycling.

Trish, I never notice jewelry unless it is gawdy. It's a guy thing.

Lori, you remember my and all mens fascination with holes.

Tango, Thanks for outing your self. It's been good exchanging emails with you. What I should do is send the trinket to Darev and then you'll see someone freak out for his collection of books.

10:05 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Ack!!! My babies! My babies! Any boxes coming from you are going to get soaked in Raid first!

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home