Wednesday, April 01, 2009

What Ownes You


I was at Costco recently and as I parked I saw someone placing some large boxes in the bed of their pick-up truck. One thing was a new TV and another box was a printer and there were some other things. As I watched the boxes go from the cart to the truck I has sympathetic buyers remorse for that family.

I used to live a very simple life where most of my possessions could be moved in two loads of a Subaru wagon, but in the last twenty years I too succumb to being a possessor of stuff. I’ve never gotten over my earlier ways to the point where I get a sick feeling in my stomach when I install something new into the house. It’s mostly the left over cardboard boxes that bother me because they show nearly the exact volume you are losing in your space.

There are so many space robbers. Think of how much counter space you lose if you have a microwave oven. I know that new HD TV is really cool, but if you need to get new furniture to accommodate you are losing some major space.

Yes I understand that there are some space savers, like people getting rid of their land line phones and going totally cellular, and that desk top computers are being replaced by lap tops and CD players are much smaller than turn tables and CDs take up less room than vinyl records, but we still have a lot of stuff that takes up way too much room. Most people don’t park in their garages because they already have too much stuff in their garages.

So to the family, I do feel for you. Though you think you’ve taken a step forward, you actually may not have when you find your possessions own you.

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Of all the things in this house, it's my books that own me. And I'm okay with that.

5:45 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Yah. What Beth said. The books have taken over. It would take a flotilla of moving vans to haul all of this crap out of here. I think we could have a yard sale every day for the next decade and still have stuff left over. But I'm okay with it. My computer corner is crowded like a berth in a submarine with books and shelves and miscellaneous junk. But I'm good with that, too.

6:46 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

you stole my post! i was gonna (and still might) write about how stuff takes up space (since i just moved to a smaller apartment)... blog-stealer!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

I would have to say...my animals. It is difficult leaving, if even for a night, especially in the winter. The bird and guinea pigs would freeze to death...since they don't know how to stoke the wood stove...yet. The cows, horses, pigs, chickens, dogs, etc...all rely on us to feed them daily. I would get a sitter..and I have...but it is a huge favor to ask of someone. So, needless to say...I don't get out much :)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Books, definitely. Especially since the local libraries are so deficient on reading material that interests me.

Used to be, when I got a couple hundred books and my shelves started overflowing, I'd make a donation to the local library. I stopped doing that, when I found out the library either sold the books at their next sale or re-donated them to Goodwill.

So now I just buy more bookshelves. Heck, if I ever become leader of a government ... I'll already have a headstart on my "retirement" library.

2:58 PM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

I read "astoria" first thing in the a.m.
I don't always comment. I sometimes like to see where the comments are going before I post. Here for instance, I would have gone right into how the addition to my house has given me more work than I would have thought. But books......... now there is a possession that I can live with also.
loopymama

4:08 PM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Damn, this was a good post!
Mrs. Gearhead & I talk about this all the time.
People who, both husbands & wifes that make UNBELIEAVABLE dough yet are always broke.
You go to their house and everything is brand spanking new.
But not a penny in their pocket.
And certainly not in the bank.

Guess what? I've got a name.
And it is not preceeded with a dollar sign.

6:58 PM  
Blogger g said...

my computer owns me.

back in the day, i lived in a 5th wheel trailer, my labrador retriever, a 12 gauge shotgun, a 1/2 ton beater, my tool belt, and my windsurfing gear. happy as a clam.

i'm not sure what the hell happened but i hope i never have to move.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I screwed up when I retired & stopped moving every few years. Now we're over-run with stuff;)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I look around me in this computer room and realize old useless keepsakes own me. Like the baby crib my kids slept in forty years ago.

That's just plain stupid! I'm trying to work up the fortitude to get rid of that, along with some other junk.

4:20 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, Darev and Walt, I too was a book keeper, but I did give away half of my collection when I moved out here. Now my wife is the substantial book buyer, and she gives them away when we run out of book shelf space. It's called expensive wall paper.

Dalia, when will you learn that you have to wake up pretty early in the morning to beat me to a post, but write it any way, we don't share any readers.

Ginger, I have a friend in the exact same animal situation and we trade off on taking care of one anothers animals. It's her turn next.

Loopy and when the kids are grown and gone you'll get even more stuff.

Gearhead, and I wonder if they ever feel remorse. I feel it just bring home groceries.

g, you are young, it's not too late to change. Your kids won't like it but in the end they will understand.

Mike. three moves is equal to one fire.

Donna, I'm sure someone could use that crib. It feels better to gain the space than it does to hold onto stuff.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Nope, Guy. The crib is unsafe, being old and wobbly. It's good for nothing but holding bits and pieces of other junk/memories.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home