Thursday, April 09, 2009

Where Does It End Up?


As I write this I am watching American Masters on Public Television and the show is on my favorite composer, Philip Glass. The show is about his life, his family and his music. It also showed him in his homes in New York City and Canada. As I look at his collection of art and trinkets I realized just how much money I’ve spent over the years buying his recordings and tickets to his operas and concerts and seeing films he had scored.

I watch this show wondering if some of the stuff he owns came directly from my lurker. I mean he had to pay for that stuff with someone’s money. You know that when you hire someone to build a house for you and after they are paid you can see that they’ve purchased a new truck as a result of what you paid them you see your dollars being put to work and it’s all good. However, when you pay your taxes you can only hope your money goes toward causes you care about and not towards a thousand dollar toilet seat.

I hope my Philip Glass money went toward a piece of art that all his friends and family now enjoy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

When you pay your taxes these days, you’re pretty well-assured they’re going to bail-outs.
As for the money you’ve “sent” Philip Glass? You get to pick and choose where it went. Choose the artwork.

6:51 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hell, he's still around and doing things, why not ask him? Maybe he bought something cool like the entire "Zippy The Pinhead" collection with your money. That would be something cool to have on a shelf. If I was a musical genius, that's the kind of thing I'd have around for inspiration.

7:08 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

I just spent the last two days reading "brisingr" got the book for the twins and they demanded I read it too. So I can still wow them on how fast i can read....ha. that being said. my kids get the majority of my money
loopymama

3:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth it looks like there will soon be some returns on that money.

Darev, he was pretty accessible back in the day. I've spoken to him, but I was too young and dumb to have any good questions at the time.

Loopy, and they will continue to for years to come.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home