Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Guy On The Tube



I often call my lectures and classes the Dog and Pony Show. Not because I particularly address dogs or ponys in my talks, but more so because I bring all sorts of equipment and specimens preserved in glass vials filled with alcohol. I bring a computer and a digital projector, and when it’s all set up I talk for six or seven hours. It’s like the circus has come to town, freak show and all.

I don’t mean to demean what I do; I just like to look at things differently from time to time. My talks and classes are pretty important to those in agriculture. I just did one last weekend in Central Oregon and had eighty students that not only stayed through the lecture but stayed on for an hour afterwards to ask questions.

Word got out to the local media that I was coming to town and one of the TV stations asked if I could come by the studio for a live interview. Though I’ve had TV news cover my speaking engagements before, filming while I lectured, this was the first time I’ve ever been invited for an in-studio sit down chat.

It was pretty cool. My wife and I showed up on time and we were seated in the news room where a couple guys where hammering out news script for the 11:00 news. I was to be on during the end of the last news segment. We wandered around and were able to look in through the darkened glass on the control room which was a small room with several consoles and two extremely large screens that were divided into multiple screen in screen images.

Behind the back wall of the control room was the studio. The control room viewed what was going on in the studio on screen, not through a window.



Walking into the studio was like walking onto the bridge of a movie spaceship. Everything was big and bright and shiny. There were large screen video displays everywhere, even under the desks. It was beautiful and breathtaking and designed to look great and futuristic with lots of color and movement.

The producer hooked a wireless mike to lapel and introduced me to the anchor that was going to interview me. He seemed like a nice fellow and looked the part of someone with a good TV face. His hands showed that he never worked in the woods and that he has probably never changed the oil in his car.

The interview in total was six minutes long; two three minute segments with a commercial spot in the middle. Time went so quickly. The anchor told me that if you are ever told you have six minutes to live, don’t live out your final minutes in Television, the time goes too quickly.

It was a good experience, though I didn’t get to see it. I went to do the class on Saturday, and nearly everyone in the class had seen my segment. They told me I did a good job. It was fun. I've used up six of my fifteen minutes of fame.

16 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Sounds as though you are a committed, learned lecturer – and quite in demand. Congratulations on your six minutes of fame!

4:58 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

And now that you are vested as a renowned lecturer, I suppose we'll be losing you to Harvard or the ivied halls of old Oxford or something. You'll go off and become famous and forget all about us down here in the dregs of bloggerland..... snif... snif....

7:17 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

You swiveled your chair ALOT !

Mwah, Love ya !

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I have your autograph, Superstar?

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

Have any plans for the remaining 9? Better not see you on COPS!

12:19 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

That shows you the difference in the size of the market. In the DC area you'd be lucky to get 2 minutes on air and they'd probably cut you off sooner with inane questions and comments from the uninformed, though very attractive, talking bobble heads.

And here I thought you were camera shy...

2:32 PM  
Blogger g said...

you kept scratching your ass.

seriously, it's pretty cool being interviewed on tv. i got to do my 15 minutes speaking about the mighty mo when it came to town. they invited me to portland to do the segment. the late great Boz interviewed me. an experience i'll never forget!

7:07 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, Thanks Darlin, and be sure to let me know the next time you are published.

Darev, How about I do a prison tour, or would that be cruel and unusual?

Auntie, but at least I didn't spin completely around.

Anon, Can I sign your arm?

Ginger, probably an after school special on aging.

Rich, I need to find another small market. I just don't like posting my photo on the blog.

g, did you ever read my Mighty Mo post?
http://astoria-rust.blogspot.com/search?q=cutting+room+floor

8:00 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Yeah, what was up with that swiveling. I bet you couldn't stay in your chair in 3rd grade either.

6:41 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

It was a comfy chair and it was a three camera shoot. Besides at my age that's a way to keep the blood pumping.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, you cannot sign my arm.

3:50 PM  
Blogger g said...

my how time flies! i forgot all about that post. great story.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

Anon, I could have asked for worse.

g, You were reading back then? That was one funny event.

7:46 PM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

alas...even after 1 hour of downloading, i had not heard even 2 minutes of it..........pooh
loopymama

10:56 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

it was interesting! i actually learned something! and you look good on tv ;-)

6:11 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry Loopy. If I could download and save it I would mail it to you, but I can't figure out how to get a copy.

Dalia, thanks, Darlin. And if I may, I haven't seen a bad photo of you yet.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home